PDA

View Full Version : What is a good shell dweller for future reference

The Wedge
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Whenever I turn over to the 90 I wanted to know what kind of dwellers to put in my 30 and what is some good aqua-scape techniques for them.

cocoa_pleco
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
lamp. brichardi are cool tanganyikans

Devon Greatwolf
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I currently have a pair of extremely prolific Neolamp. Pulcher (Dafodil Cichlids). They are in the Brichardi complex. I picked them up from my LFS when someone brought them in due to the fact that they had taken over a 50 gallon aquarium when they started to breed. I have been told and read that Brichardi complex fishes are better described as cave dwellers. Mine definitly behave nore like cave dwellers.

I have also heard that the similis and multis are great smaller shell dwellers. And in a thirty you could probably try some dwarf Sumbu.

In addition I like they personality of the sexfasciatus.

you could also look here: http://www.shelldwellers.com/

toddnbecka
05-06-2008, 04:58 PM
My personal preference is L. multifasciatus, the easiest species to manage. They're colonial fish, and very protective of the fry until they reach maturity. Other shelldweller species lose interest at best soon after the fry are free-swimming, many times they will eat them. If you aren't interested in keeping/raising a number of fish, brevis are next in line for ease of keeping. Less protective of their fry, but less inclined to kill conspecifics.