PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lobster

blarney
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Okay I got one a couple of weeks ago. I was concerned because I read that he might kill my other fish. Since I have gotten it he hides pretty much all the time. I got him to help clean the sand on the bottom of the tank but I don't think he's doing a good job of that. is this something where I should have more than one?

ncbuckeye
05-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Okay I got one a couple of weeks ago. I was concerned because I read that he might kill my other fish. Since I have gotten it he hides pretty much all the time. I got him to help clean the sand on the bottom of the tank but I don't think he's doing a good job of that. is this something where I should have more than one?

If you have more than one they'll more than likely kill each other unless you have a decently large tank.

blarney
05-06-2008, 01:02 AM
If you have more than one they'll more than likely kill each other unless you have a decently large tank.

It's a 150. I just would like it to be a bit more visable. Right now I have very little plants but some caves that he hides out in. Should I change it to more plants and less large rocks? I also have two Jack Dempsey's in it and a leporinis. I am going to get a green terror and hopefully an EBJD and probably another leporinis.

krisco
05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
yeah, they say to have only one per 20 gallons, but i figure that should be one per 30 gallons. Mine was shy at first too, but he is a rough houser now. Research the water parameters and make sure he is happy with the parameters you have now. Also, they seem to come out more at night when the big light goes dark. If you don't have it already, try to install a lunar light and see what ya get.

They love those shrimp pellets too!

ncbuckeye
05-06-2008, 01:07 AM
I have 4 very uneasy dads in a 10 gallon, so 1 per 20 might work if their about the same size, they do get more active at night. Mine get real active if I change the tank around on them, they have to find new hiding spots and also keep them from fighting over one territory.

blarney
05-06-2008, 01:13 AM
So do you think he needs a bit more time? My temp is right at 80degres.

I do keep the light on about 12/12 right now and could trim it back a bit.

I'm not sure what a lunar light is. I have been thinking of getting some new lighting for it and have been looking at something like this. http://www.shopjebo.com/18/power_compact_lights_supply.aspx I like them because I can build a cabinet around them and I think having the light offset from the tank will give it a better glow.

What are lunar lights? Where can I find them at?

I have been feeding my fish blood worms so far. They all seem to like them and that is the only time I ever see the crawfish stick his head out.

So if I picked up a couple more do you think it would turn into a problem?

ncbuckeye
05-06-2008, 01:25 AM
So do you think he needs a bit more time? My temp is right at 80degres.

I do keep the light on about 12/12 right now and could trim it back a bit.

I'm not sure what a lunar light is. I have been thinking of getting some new lighting for it and have been looking at something like this. http://www.shopjebo.com/18/power_compact_lights_supply.aspx I like them because I can build a cabinet around them and I think having the light offset from the tank will give it a better glow.

What are lunar lights? Where can I find them at?

I have been feeding my fish blood worms so far. They all seem to like them and that is the only time I ever see the crawfish stick his head out.

So if I picked up a couple more do you think it would turn into a problem?

He might need more time, how long have you had him? I have mine in a cold water tank, but then again I caught mine out of a local creek.

I want some lunar lights, they're just a dimmer light, just bright enough so you can see in, but dim enough not to bother your fishes sleeping patterns, I've seen several in catalogs, but not to many in my LFS. I personally don't think that in a 150 gallon tank 5-6 may be ok, is your tank long or tall? I've read you should have 1 sq foot of bottom per dad.

blarney
05-06-2008, 01:33 AM
It's long and tall, it's a 150 gallons. LOL!
6ft long and 3ft tall.

I was really only thinking only maybe one or two more.

I will check out some lunar lights. The way I want to do the lights I can do one regular and one lunar on each side. As long as lunar lights come in the same dimensions it should be good.

I think they are nice but not interested in having too many, I just want them to clean the sand, rocks and plants if I can find some good grass somewhere.

ps. Hey I just noticed I'm not a platy anymore, I'm now a goldfish. I'm guessing that is not a bad thing.

blarney
05-11-2008, 01:16 PM
He might need more time, how long have you had him? I have mine in a cold water tank, but then again I caught mine out of a local creek.

I want some lunar lights, they're just a dimmer light, just bright enough so you can see in, but dim enough not to bother your fishes sleeping patterns, I've seen several in catalogs, but not to many in my LFS. I personally don't think that in a 150 gallon tank 5-6 may be ok, is your tank long or tall? I've read you should have 1 sq foot of bottom per dad.

Well, you were right. Since yesterday that little blue guy has been making laps around the tank and picking up everything he can find. He has dug up plants moved stuff around and pretty much claimed the bottom of the tank. I was watching him yesterday and I thought he was going to get the Leperinis but he just wasn't fast enough. Now he comes right up when he sees me come down for feeding time.