I am gonna start a tank with
1 dwarf gourami
4 platys
3 african dwarf frogs
1 bn pleco
possibly one betta

I have these foods types (not brands):
total freshwater fish (flakes)
amphibian aquatic food ( floating pellets)
blood worms (dead in container freeze dried)
betta flake food

ps. for the pleco i chopped cucumber and let it dry out a bit

what else would be best?
I am a new fish owner who actually wants my fish to be happy, not just alive!

doug z
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM
New Life Spectrum makes some darn good fish food..

I would stay away from flakes, as they tend to disintegrate and pollute the water..

I dunno what frogs eat, but for fish I would get their Small Fish Formula, and H20 Stable Wafers for the BN.

You don't need to dry out veggies for the BN..

Just blanch stuff like spinach and cucumbers, zuchini, etc in boiling water until they are el-dente (not soggy, still slightly crisp in consistency..

Sasquatch
05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Variety is the spice of life ... and the secret to healthy fish (among other things ... but you're asking about food).

Platies will eat anything ... litterally. Flakes, bloodworms, tubifex, pellets, wafers ... anything. They'll probably steal the pellets from your frogs!

In addition to the food you have listed, I'd suggest getting pellet foods small enough for your fish. Hikari makes micro pellet, micro wafers and fancy guppy pellet, all of which will be ideal.

Wild Turkey
05-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Both good posts, pretty much covered it

Incredulous_Ed
05-06-2008, 03:07 AM
You can feed NLS by itself, because it is nutritionally complete. But ,ake sure the pleco is getting some roughage in his diet every once in a while.

Fishguy2727
05-06-2008, 03:54 AM
New Life Spectrum provides a complete and balanced diet by itself. Check out my blog and their site for more information. I have tried all sorts of other diets and this is the only one I still trust. Even with plecos it is all mine get, and they get the normal pellets, not the wafers. The only other point I would make is that many plecos, in this case specifically bristlenoses, should have some driftwood in the tank. This is not just a great hiding place but also provides an important part of their diet.

graceluvsplatys
05-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Oh yes I am gonna put in a nice piece of driftwood.

The frog pellets are super small... My betta gobnbled it up when one fell in.
but otherwise, do you think I have a good start?

Fishguy2727
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I think your best option is to try and find some NLS. That really would be the best thing for all of them, inluding the frog.

graceluvsplatys
05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
what are nls?

gm72
05-06-2008, 10:12 PM
New Life Spectrum. A brand of food that is regarded by some as the top of the line food available.

This is however heavily debated, and we won't start another one here.

I use NLS almost exclusively and have outstanding results. Hikari is another very good brand to use. Stay away from cheap brands like Wardley's as they really don't contain adequate nutrition to allow a fish to reach its maximum potential.

graceluvsplatys
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I have hikari flakes and bloodworms... but I am going to petsmart right now and see about New life... ill report back!

smaug
05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
My fish like frozen foods such as brine shrimp,glass worms and blood worms quite a bit and are doing totally fantastic on a diet of flahed as well as pelleted Hikari ,aquariun,sanfrancisco bay brand,wardleys and tetra.The foods you list in your first post will do a darn fine job in assuring a thriving,not just living fish population.

gm72
05-07-2008, 01:29 AM
In general the pellets are a more efficient way to feed fish. I find less waste with them vs. the flake.

graceluvsplatys
05-08-2008, 01:22 AM
good to know... I just got flakes cause they were on sale!! i see if they go for them and if not,, pellets !

Incredulous_Ed
05-08-2008, 04:01 AM
The main problem with flakes is that as soon as they hit the water, the nutrients pretty much start to dissolve into the water. Pellets hold it longer, and there is much less waste.

graceluvsplatys
05-10-2008, 10:00 PM
yeah, when i put in flakes, they get blown around and sink

fastfly
05-10-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah, when i put in flakes, they get blown around and sink

You can try turning down your filter, or in some cases off when it is feeding time.

graceluvsplatys
05-11-2008, 04:20 AM
yeah, i tried, but i am in a cycling predicament right now ( see other post, "i was stupid, ok") and need to keep it on right now

but for later, then all the water runs out and i have to restart it. I may get one of those floatie food things that keepit toghtther

doug z
05-11-2008, 04:23 AM
I may get one of those floatie food things that keepit toghtther

Or switch to quality micro pellets (New Life Spectrum Small fish Formula, Hikari micro pellets)..