PDA

View Full Version : Betta Breeding Question

ritzie07
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I have been breeding my betta fish and they have been succesful. I have eggs safely in their bubble nest which is so exciting. The thing I was wondering is about the female. I have read that she needs to come out of the tank as soon as she is done or he will try and kill her but so far he has not been aggressive with her at all does that mean she is not done or he just doesn't care that she is in there. I saw her helping him figure out what to do with the eggs and he didn't seem to mind. So far they really like eachother. Kind of strange but I will get her out real soon. Talk to you all again soon.

Heather

Ghostknife
05-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I have heard the reason why you need to take the female out of there, is because she will try to eat the eggs. He will protect the eggs, & kill her if deemed a threat. You will need to take him out too though, as he will eat the fry! Also, after a few days of the fry being active, you will have to seperate them, as they will become serious fighting fish, just like their Dad is, & of course will kill each other.
Thats what i have heard anyway!

Good luck!!

ritzie07
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I seperated the fish yesterday and their were about 7 to 10 eggs that I could see but now they are all gone. I think he ate them all. I am so frustrated and my son is so sad. I have a second female does anyone know how long I should wait to try and breed her with him since I have no eggs now. Thank you for the tips.

Mvjnz
05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
You won't need to remove the male until the fry have been free swimming for about 2 days. The fry don't need to seperated until they are about 2 months old, or when you see them becoming aggressive towards each other.

ritzie07
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM
It was sunday when my felmale laid her eggs Sunday and I still see no sign of the eggs hatching should I assume The male ate them all. Thank you all

MandyL
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I did a quick search and looks like they should hatch around 24-36 hours after laying. So yes, they've either been eaten, or perhaps they are just too small for you to see?

havoKKKK
05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Yea, Mandy is right. They hatch pretty early so either you can't see them or someone got hungry?