PDA

View Full Version : My sick Fantailed Goldfish

jillgil
05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me. I am worried about my 17 year old fantailed goldfish. He is hiding in the corner of the tank. He has a couple of red spots on him, he has a grey patch on one of his fins. His tail is blood streaked and his tail is bent over when at rest but straightens when he swims around. I have treated him for a bacterial infection a week and a half ago, thinking that the red spot was the start of an ulcer but since then another red spot has occured. The oldest red spot has got larger and is a dark grey/red colour. I wondered if the next step is to treat him for flukes or Ich as he has been flicking and rubbing. He still seems to have an appetite and feeds when I put food in the water. I have spent hours researching the websites and really don't know what to do next. I'd be very grateful for any advice as he is really a member of the family.

Rue
05-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Congrats on having a 17 year old goldfish! :19:

It does sound like he might have external parasites...regardless, at this point treating for them is a good idea...esp. if antibiotics haven't taken care of it...

In this case I would also add salt to the water...at least for therapeutic reasons...it will promote healing and help kill parasites...

Halelorf
05-04-2008, 07:15 PM
The bloody tail is a sign that either the water quality is poor which could easily be the case as goldfish produce a huge amount of waste or as Rue said parasites or infection. I would do a fairly large water change and then be sure to remedicate the tank. The goldy should be fine.

jillgil
05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks Rue, i'll do that. The salt tip you have given me is well worth a try also!

Wild Turkey
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Salt only if you dont have other species of fish in the tank. Fish that lack scales like corys are very sensitive to it and it can kill them. Testing your levels is step #1 before you do anything. If ur nitrates are high, say over 30 or so you need a wc. Have you been performing wc's weekly? If so it shouldnt be the nitrates. We do need more info to give the right advice. We need tank size, water parameters, and a list of other fish that are in the tank if there are any.

jillgil
05-04-2008, 08:05 PM
My goldfish is on his own in the tank the tank takes about 45 - 50 pints of water. There is gravel on the floor. He used to have a fellow goldfish in the tank but that died on September 11th 2001 of a mystery illness. It too was of a good age as someone has had it 10 years before me and i had had it 6 years. I have a filter system, please forgive my ignorance but I can only describe the material which I change as like a plastic foam cylinder. I hope this is enough information. I give regular partial water changes weekly and a full one monthly. I test for ph values and the ph is usually 7.5.