PDA

View Full Version : about anemone

jimpierce
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
they aren't supposed to be white? I've been reading all over the net the last couple of days and I'm wondering what you all think about anemone in a reef tank? A couple places I read they don't suggest anemone in a tank where there is coral. Yes every LFS with a reef set up has anemone in their display tanks. What gives people??!!! :14:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Anemones should be placed in an established tank. A white anemone is a bleached anemone. Bleached simply means that all the zooxanthalae has died off and you need to feed them way more often. The zooxanthalae will die off as a result of insufficient light. The danger of adding an anemone to a tank with corals is that they will wander around a tank till they find a spot they like, once they find that spot they will stay there. A wandering anemone is not a happy anemone. If you want an anemone that is suitable for clowns and a small tank then a Bubble Tip Anemone is the best choice. Condylactus anemones are native to the Atlantic and thus will never see a clown host at all and as a result they do not normally tollerate them in captivity either. Sebae anemones are notoriously sensitive and get large. Carpet Anemeones and Long Tentecal Anemones are both extremely large species and need large tanks.

Rue
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I love my bubble-tip...

Which...BTW...after the last splitting disaster...has split again...this time normally (I hope)

I'm watching to catch the 'baby' but it's well hidden under a rock...my LFS will take it from me when I can get it out of the tank...

Tank's too small for 2...

Tigerbarb
05-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I think your other corals will be fine if you place the anemone away from your main aquascape. If you are using a 40g breeder, you are in luck as it is pretty long/wide, and pretty tall.

zackish
05-13-2008, 01:16 PM
JMpierce....if I recall you have a smaller tank like myself? I had tried a small purple tip anemone and had no luck at all with it. I would say stay away from them because they are just a hassle. If you really really want one then do some reading but I would say your parameters have to be as close to perfect as possible.