PDA

View Full Version : Dying betta?

beautifulguppy21
05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey guys,

My friend has a betta, and up until a few weeks ago, an oto cat in to keep him company. The oto cat passed, and the betta became more and more listless. He wasn't that active of a fish to begin with, but he would literally lay all day in the same spot on the rocks, barely moving to even get food.

Testing the water, she found that the pH was too high, so I came over with water from my established tank to do a water change on her 1G. We also picked up another oto cat to replace his friend (considering the possibility of some depression). After all was said and done, both fish seemed happy in the new home. The betta was swimming again, checking the new oto and new plant arrangement out, and enjoying food.

Now (5 days later), she said he's back to doing the same thing. He's just laying and not moving, not interested in anything. The oto is still doing fine.

I hadn't seen any of the common sicknesses with him, and she's going to be bring over a sample of his water so I can check out all the levels, but any opinions? She's had the betta for approx. 8-9 months (which outlasted my betta that I got at the same time), and never had any problems until the first oto died.

I know without the water parameters it's just shooting blind, but ... any ideas? Suggestions? With the lack of appetite, could he just be dying?

gm72
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
As you have already identified, we're just shooting blindly here, but he could be dying--age maybe.

MandyL
05-04-2008, 07:10 PM
What is the tank size? Does it have a filter and heater?

beautifulguppy21
05-04-2008, 07:39 PM
The tank is a 1G with filter, no heater. Her room is always pretty hot, so the water temp hasn't been a problem. Still waiting on the water to test it, but maybe I'll loan her my mini heater to boost the temp and make the poor guy feel better.

beautifulguppy21
05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Aww, nevermind. :( Her betta died.

Nick_Pavlovski
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Sorry for your friend's loss.