PDA

View Full Version : Neon Tetra euthanasia

LosC
05-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Recently I've experienced multiple deaths of my neons due to ich. It usually goes like this; an individual infected neon will start to breath faster, will barely keep up with the gang and its gill region will be covered in white spots. A day later its gasping for air and staying in one spot of the tank till the next day overnight I find it dead. Now, to avoid letting the neon go through this dying process and spreading the ich parasites I'd rather euthanize it. What would be the least painful method of euthanizing the single neon?

Fishalicious
05-04-2008, 09:46 AM
A must have in every aquarium owners house... Clove Oil... a few drop will put the fish to sleep and if you overdose the fish will go to sleep and in it's sleep the heart will stop. No pain at all for the fish. Vets also use the above often.

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2008, 04:20 PM
yep, you can overdose on clove oil, or put enough clove oil to make the fish sleep, then stick the fish in pure vodka, or put the fish in the freezer

gm72
05-04-2008, 05:54 PM
...then stick the fish in pure vodka...

Get away from my Grey Goose you nut!!!! :c1:

PUNISHER VETTE
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
i'll have to get some of that next time i'm at the store.

You just take a small bucket of water with the fish and add a few drops of this clove oil?

MandyL
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Here's a very detailed article with instructions for using Clove Oil/Vodka: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

Nick_Pavlovski
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
All hail the Clove Oil/Oil of Cloves, it's my preparation of choice.

Somehow, using vodka for fish just seems wasteful, unless it's REALLY cheap vodka...

fastfly
05-07-2008, 03:19 AM
All hail the Clove Oil/Oil of Cloves, it's my preparation of choice.

Somehow, using vodka for fish just seems wasteful, unless it's REALLY cheap vodka...

You can still drink the Vodka :shrug