PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce "anubias?"

invadertoast
05-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Just wondering... is it "ah-new-bye-us" or "ah-new-bee-us" or something totally different?

Just one of those words that I know if I ever heard someone actually say it in person I'd be like "huh??" just like the first time I actually heard someone say "leucistic" at a reptile expo...

Rue
05-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Just wondering... is it or "ah-new-bye-us" "ah-new-bee-us" or something totally different?

Just one of those words that I know if I ever heard someone actually say it in person I'd be like "huh??" just like the first time I actually heard someone say "leucistic" at a reptile expo...

"ah-new-bye-us" :18:

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2008, 05:23 AM
I always said it like "A New Bias" mainly because it sounds like a movie about predjudice or seomthing like that

PUNISHER VETTE
05-04-2008, 05:25 AM
How is the Egyptian one spelled? I usually say it like that one... "a-new-bus"

But when at the LFS they definitely said it differently making me look weird.
I think they used the "a-new-bee-us"

doug z
05-04-2008, 05:30 AM
How is the Egyptian one spelled?

Anubis.. :)

I could be wrong, but I've always said it ah-new-bee-us..

The one that gets me is Cichlids.. Is it Sitch-lids?

Cichlid*Newbie
05-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Hehe i had to ask how to say "cichlid" I was saying "chill-id" lol.

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Hehe i had to ask how to say "cichlid" I was saying "chill-id" lol.

lol, at first i called them shishlids

doug z
05-04-2008, 05:35 AM
So Am I saying it right?? :)

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2008, 05:35 AM
So Am I saying it right?? :)

its pronounced sick-lids

Cichlid*Newbie
05-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I say it "sick-lids"..thats how my LFS' say it.

MandyL
05-04-2008, 05:36 AM
I always say a-new-bee-us

And it is sick-lids (that one I know for sure lol)

crackatinny
05-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I pronounoune it a-new-bias.

Chiclids I used to pronounce chilchids until a bloke at our LFS corrected me to sicklids

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Some people call them "chiklids" which is still accepted sort of. Sick lids is teh right way though.

doug z
05-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Sick'lids.. Got it, thanks!

Now how about characins?

Char as in char-broiled?

Char - a - sin ?

Chara- sin?

Mvjnz
05-04-2008, 07:48 AM
It's a-new-bee-us. Only way I've ever heard it pronunced around here, apart from one guy I know who says a-new-bees, but that would be wrong as there is nothing to suggest the u is silent.

nanaglen2001
05-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I spell it:

Aaah- (like in aah god) nuu- (like nude) bee- (like the insect)-ass (like the word us (ours))

I wonder how you English talking folks spell Cryptocoryne:hmm3grin2orange:

Characins: Sha- (like the on in Persia) ra-kins

invadertoast
05-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I've been saying it a-new-bias, so I guess I'm not completely wrong, lol. Characins, I thought was like "Carcharodon carcharias" with all "Kuh" sounds... hmm... reading stuff is hard :rolleyes: I'm a total spelling and grammar nerd and it drives me nuts when I don't know how to pronounce something!

nanaglen2001
05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Some people call them "chiklids" which is still accepted sort of. Sick lids is teh right way though.
I spell it : Tsicklids, at least when I think in English. When I think German I spell them Tsichleeden (pl.) or Tsichleede (sing.)

Sick lids reminds me too much of sick eyes:hmm3grin2orange:

Even Kicklids would be ok, depends if you spell all the CH or C-sounds in Latin either TS or K. Like Tsitsero or Kikero ( Cicero). But one has to stick on that.

Rue
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Er, the 'correct' pronounciation isn't optional...:hmm3grin2orange:

It's correctly pronounced 'anew-bias' with the accent on the 'new'...

It's like 'betta'...it's 'bet-tuh'...not 'bay-tah'...

MandyL
05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Characins: Sha- (like the on in Persia) ra-kins

Really? I tought is was Chare-a-sins?

The one I always feel silly saying is Java Fern or Java moss... Java always comes out funny!

jbeining75
05-04-2008, 07:29 PM
guess it depends on where you are from really because of the accent differences...... In the mid atlantic we say

ah - new - be - us

Mvjnz
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Er, the 'correct' pronounciation isn't optional...:hmm3grin2orange:

It's correctly pronounced 'anew-bias' with the accent on the 'new'...

It's like 'betta'...it's 'bet-tuh'...not 'bay-tah'...

There is nothing to suggest you would pronunce the i like anything other than ee. There's no e at the end. For example, shit is pronunced differently to shite, because of the e at the end. Bad example, but it was the first thing that came to mind. So what makes you think the i in anubias is not pronunced like an ee sound?

nanaglen2001
05-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Really? I tought is was Chare-a-sins?

The one I always feel silly saying is Java Fern or Java moss... Java always comes out funny!

Remember I am German, we spell Latin and Greek stuff a bit differently from the way you English speaking folks do:hmm3grin2orange: Sha-ra-tsins would be ok here in Germany also.

But you didnt help me with "Cryptocoryne" yet.

doug z
05-05-2008, 07:14 AM

LOL

Can't help you, there..

I;m wondering about that one myself...

I've been pronouncing it cypto (as in kryptonite) corn.. Crypto corn..

That can't be right.. :)

Rue
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
There is nothing to suggest you would pronunce the i like anything other than ee. There's no e at the end. For example, shit is pronunced differently to shite, because of the e at the end. Bad example, but it was the first thing that came to mind. So what makes you think the i in anubias is not pronunced like an ee sound?

...~15 years of taxonomy...give or take a few years...:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
05-05-2008, 03:25 PM
...okay...I've quickly googled and have come across 2 references.

One says it's 'an-you-BYE-as'. The other says there is NO right or wrong way to pronounce latin words. Well - I'm not sure about that - but there are clear difference in how some words are pronounced depending on who you learned your latin from. So I have e-mailed a colleague over in the UK. She's much more up on all this stuff than I am.

I'll let her have the final word.:hmm3grin2orange:

nanaglen2001
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Thank heaven I only write with you, not talk to you. I guess the would be lots of huhs?? and hahs?? and Pardons?? when we would talk lets say, about "Thorichthys" or "Vieja" or "Poecilia":hmm3grin2orange:

When I was in Seattle someone talked about, having bought a chair at Eyekeeyaaah...man I really must have looked stupid, cause I didnt got it that he meant Eeekeyuh.

Just guess wat big furniture shop I mean, just a hint, it originates from Sweden:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I luv Ikea...but we're too small to rate getting a store...we do have a Jysk! Only been there once...:hmm3grin2orange:

I have to give you credit...your English is very good. Much MUCH better than my German...and I spoke German before I spoke English!

I did up-grade my German a couple of years ago...I had hubby bring me the first 3 Harry Potter books in German (he was there on business). I needed the dictionary for about 1/2 a book...and then I was good to go!

I suppose I should get the rest of them now...and keep it going...:c1:

Devon Greatwolf
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM

May not be right but I say "KRIPT - O - COREEN"

MandyL
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Yep that's how I would say it - Cryp-toe-core-een. I'm sure the fish stores get all kinds of weird pronounciations. :)

Rue
05-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Okay! My friend got back to me.

She said you can pronounce 'either' as EEther or EYEther...

So go ahead and pronounce 'anubias' however you like! :hmm3grin2orange:

doug z
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
'either' as EEther or EYEther.

EYEther is supposed to be the more correct way of saying it.. :)

Rue
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
...one's more archaic...one's more modern...

doug z
05-05-2008, 06:37 PM
"Modern" isn't synominous with "better", in my opinion.. LOL

xoolooxunny
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I've always pronounced it crip-toe-crin, a-new-bee-us, and EEther (im not that sophisticated)

shockshockshad
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I always say ah-new-bee-iss, cript-oh-corn, care-uh-kins, sick-lids and ee-ther.