PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a good bristlenose or clown pleco?

graceluvsplatys
05-04-2008, 03:46 AM
There are no BN or clown plecos at petco. Does anyone know a store that is somewhat widespread that carries them?
I dont trust online, I cant get over them mailing a fish

cocoa_pleco
05-04-2008, 03:50 AM
petsmart has them, but be weary of quality

sandy_n
05-04-2008, 04:30 AM
I bought a bn at the Petsmart by my house. They do a pretty good job in their fish dept.

toddnbecka
05-04-2008, 06:49 AM
I dont trust online, I cant get over them mailing a fish

Having sent and received a number of packages of shrimp and fish myself, I can assure you it's not a big deal. For a single fish though, the cost of shipping may be more than it's worth. If you're ordering a number of fish (or other items) the cost isn't so bad. Relative distance is also a consideration, as well as the carrier. Don't expect a Priority Mail package to travel from the West coast to the East coast in 2-3 days like the web page states. It's actually more like a week, maybe longer, depending on what day the package goes out. Even relatively short distances take a couple days since the price of gas has gone sky-high, and the USPS has cut back on pickup/delivery routes. On the other hand, buying from individual breeders is better than buying questionable stock from chain stores. If properly prepped and packed, fish have been lost in the mail for a week or longer and still turned up alive. I received a shipment of dwarf crayfish and shrimp from Germany that took 6 days from origin to delivery, all were alive and healthy when I opened the box, and no unexpected losses soon afterward.
Here in the mountains of Western Maryland, selection is rather limited. I can either drive several hours to find a larger selection (and hope they have something I want) or shop online and pay shipping. It does encourage research and planning, and eliminates impulse buys of something that catches the eye. :hmm3grin2orange:

LosC
05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
If you love and enjoy fish, cost isn't a problem. You can find good healthy Plecos online, get back to us on the site of your choice.

graceluvsplatys
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
hm/// well I think that I will go check out petsmart, just to see. I just had my faith restored in fish ppl at pet stores, cuz I saw this lady ask a fish guy for the "bare minimum" for her fish that she was gonna get. (grr)
When she asked for a goldfish, I was groaning, cuz she only had a 2g. but to my pleasent suprise, he told her all about goldfish, and how they produce so much waster, and had to be in at least 10getc. He didnt sell her one, but reccomnded a female betta!