PDA

View Full Version : My white gravel

freshwaterfishlover
11-17-2006, 11:27 PM
What to do, my white gravel is turning brown.

Fishguy2727
11-18-2006, 12:07 AM
If it is a community tank go with ottos, they will eat brown algae.

CJ1
11-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Do you vacuum your gravel weekly while doing water changes? If you do, gravel will stay clean.

freshwaterfishlover
11-19-2006, 03:19 AM
I do a Gravel stir up water change every other week. I made the cardinal mistake about Alge. I put the tank next to a window. The other 2 tanks are ok because they are away from the window.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Depends on how many fish are in the tank but I vac my gravel weekly. I hope you don't mean you stir up all that nasty gravel and the fish are having to tolerate that. If you use a gravel vac there's no reason to "stir" the gravel at all. Sounds as you know what your problem stems from.....the window. Gotta cover that window.

freshwaterfishlover
11-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Yes I do a Vaccum Gravel water change. It took me a week to figure out it was the window.Today I was looking at the tank and it popped in my head it was the window. Now I covered it up.

Lady Hobbs
11-19-2006, 05:22 AM
That will help for sure. I get sun in my front window that hits two tanks so I hung a sheet up last summer. I kept complaining that the sun doesn't shine but I couldn't see it if it did. :)

kimmers318
11-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Another option is to cover the back AND sides of the tank where any sunlight might hit. My dp tank is in front of a window that granted only gets a little direct light daily since it is under the front porch, but I just made the background longer, wrapped it around the sides and it is fine. I don't get anymore algae there than any other tanks.