PDA

View Full Version : New fish

Incredulous_Ed
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I traded iin the rams and the male cacatuoides. and I brought home a pair of checkerboard cichlids, which went into the 20high, and a pair of nanacara anomal, which wen tinto the 20 long. The nanncara are being pretty shy, but the checkerboards are already foraging for food! They are gasping a bit, is this normal?

Pics will follow soon!

Incredulous_Ed
05-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Well here they are. That yellow fish is my female borellii. She always poses for the camera. I could only get a shot of the anomala female. The male is pretty shy. And I had a good pic of the checkerboard male, but somehow it got corrupted. How do they look?

gm72
05-04-2008, 05:20 AM
They look great! Darn water spots on the glass though! We all suffer the same fate though.

toddnbecka
05-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Checkerboard cichlids are ultra-sensitive to water quality, one reason I never tried keeping them myself. Good luck with them, and keep on top of the water changes.

digital3
05-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Nice pix Ed! Thanks for sharing!

angelcakes
05-04-2008, 08:18 AM
congrats ed you have lovely fish.................:19:

Fishalicious
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Woot!! You've really been spoiling me with eye candy recently :19:

Checkerboards are on of my faves... difficult to keep if the water is not kept pristine and they thrive in a lower PH. They will not breed in a higher PH at all.

Nannacara are always a bit more shy for the first few weeks... they will soon come round as they notice you are the hand that feeds them :hmm3grin2orange:

Congrats on some wonderful beautiful new fish x

Incredulous_Ed
05-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone! How do you sex anomalas?

The checkerboards are dooing fine. The are constantly foraging for food. Ive got them on new Spectrum Grow, because of their small mouth size. THe guy at the store says he acclimates all his dwarfs to hard water before selling them, because most people are idiots and just buy them because they look pretty. The nanncaras are quite aggressive. I think I have a larger female who is chasing the smaller male and the borellii around alot.