PDA

View Full Version : Duh!How many gallons go into a 1 gal jug?

smaug
05-03-2008, 10:59 PM
My wife has some [10] ghost shrimp in her firebelly toad tank for feeders and as entertainment.They seemed hungry last night so I gave them an algae wafer I broke up into 7 or 8 pieces.They loved it.So much in fact that half of them were dead this afternoon from eating too much.I decided to siphon the tank out so I get my handydandy length of hose out and my 1 gallon wc pitcher and proceed[its a 10 gal tank half full]I'm on my knees thinking I'm doing such a dandy job when low and behold my knees feel wet.Damn it to blue blazes of he*&!!!Then I realize the little submersible filter is running dry as well .Its all cleaned up now:hmm3grin2orange: .How do like that, Lady Hobbs?

xoolooxunny
05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow, thats pretty funny. Maybe after all this, we need a "whoops" section on the forum!! Filling a 5 gallon bucket while cleaning off driftwood/rocks like i do always turns out to be an ALMOST! for me, but one these days, im telling you, one of these days . . .

Rue
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
... half of them were dead this afternoon from eating too much.

I doubt it...

smaug
05-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow, thats pretty funny. Maybe after all this, we need a "whoops" section on the forum!! Filling a 5 gallon bucket while cleaning off driftwood/rocks like i do always turns out to be an ALMOST! for me, but one these days, im telling you, one of these days . . .
thats a great idea for a whoops section,I just posted it in the suggestions.

smaug
05-03-2008, 11:17 PM
I doubt it...
whats to doubt?They were fine for weeks before the feeding.

Algenco
05-04-2008, 12:31 AM
uneaten algae wafers go bad very quickly, my bet is thats what killed them

smaug
05-04-2008, 12:35 AM
could very well be!There are still 5 very healthy ones in there.Its a blast to watch the fbt try to catch them.

Lady Hobbs
05-04-2008, 02:34 AM
That just isn't as good yet as 53 gallons but you can keep working on it.

Rue
05-04-2008, 04:42 AM
The food might have killed them...but I doubt they died from overeating...

TowBoater
05-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I have the best, I was syphoning out water w/ my python and my sink got clogged and all that nasty fish water and poo overflowed into the floor.

verbosity
05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I clean a 125 and a 75 weekly. Never have any issue.

I use the python hose that hooks to your water faucet. Well I have one tank I don't clean so often. The shrimp tank. I closed the drain on the sink to remove the airator. I then proceeded to hook up my python and go to business. My dog started barking. So I went to see why. I never opened the drain back up on my sink and there must have been 5 gallons of water on the floor. :18: