PDA

View Full Version : Moss balls.

robnepper
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Do moss balls really limit algae growth?

smaug
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
i cant imagine why.I used to have them till I realized excel was killing them slowly.They may help control algae in the same way any plant does,by using nutrients that would otherwise go to the algae.BTW,moss balls are a form of algae .

xoolooxunny
05-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Moss balls are a cladophora algae, which means you'll have trouble growing them if you use co2 or excel. I've never heard of them being used to limit algae growth, but in theory I guess it makes sense since the algae will suck up any nutrients the plants dont use. I just think they're too expensive, I dont like the idea of paying money to add algae to a FW tank. There are plenty of other ways to control algae, that your plants will greatly benefit from.

gm72
05-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I have 3 of them in one of my tanks and I like how they look a lot.

robnepper
05-05-2008, 01:10 AM
OK. I just heard that since they are algae, they outcompete the other stuff for food. I loke how they look too. I agree though, that they are very expensive.

xoolooxunny
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
they do work as a good sponge filter though. And if you do like the way they look, i guess it couldn't hurt to try one in your tank, see how it goes for you. they are easily propagated (just divided up) so post a want ad in the classified section on this forum and see if someone is willing to break one of their's up for. Just a suggestion.