PDA

View Full Version : Molly with Ick

dizzykylie
11-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Here's my situtation. I recently purchased two mollies for my 37G tall tank. I have various other fish...platys, danios, tetras, barbs, and two gouramis-a gold and a flame. Both Gouramis were really docile until I bought the mollies and the flame g. tortured the smallest one until she lost all use of her back end and had to be put down. Now he has moved on to the remaining one. Now it looks like it has ick. None of the other fish are bothered and none of them have ick. Can it be possible that being stressed out about being picked one could cause the molly to get ick? I was going to give it away until now.

kimmers318
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
You hit the nail on the head....your poor molly is so stressed, it became susceptible to the ICK parasite. If the other fish won't leave it alone you will need to rehome it, that is the only fair thing to do. I would also recommend bumping the heat up for a week or so and giving the tank a good dose of stresscoat, with extra water changes, to hopefully avoid any other fish from getting the ICK. If they are healthy, they should be okay....but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say. I have only treated ICK twice, both times with this method, have also used it when Q'ing new clown loaches "just in case" since they are so susceptible to ICK, and have not had a recurrence of ICK yet. Very easy, mellow, treatment that won't cause your fish any harm. I always try to avoid meds whenever possible.

dizzykylie
11-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. My poor fishy. The funny thing is that now my gold gourami who is so laid back is starting to pick on the flame...I think he just knocking him down a peg or two. Now the flame seems to be backing off. I am getting a 10 G tank when Christmas vacation starts, but I wanted to put my Betta in it. Maybe the would get along. My betta hardly even flares at his own reflection. I will do something. I know it's just a fish...but I don't like seeing them ill and picked on. I am attatched to them all.