PDA

View Full Version : feeding baby GBR

Algenco
05-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I've had several spawns which the parents ate, so I took the last one away from the parents.

Hatched at least 200 but I'm having dismal results.
Tried live microworms and bbs , I only have about 20 that were able to eat the food, 90% loss is unacceptable!

I've artificially raised over 50,000 Angels but the rams are smaller and seem to be extremely delicate.

I have a paramecium culture ordered, hopefully that will get them over the hump until they can handle other foods.

Anyone have any ideas that I have missed?

gm72
05-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Well hate to go all basic on you, but will the fry accept powdered flake or a similar food like Hikari First Bites?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-02-2008, 01:33 AM
How about something like Liquifry or culturing your own Infusoria?

Algenco
05-02-2008, 02:02 AM
well, the paramecium are one of the largest infusoria type foods.
No liquifry or first bites available local, I'll order some.
Live foods always work best because they trigger the hunting instincts.
I even had a clump of java moss in with them, usually that will provide enough infusoria to small fry to where they can eat bigger foods.

It looked as though at least half were eating but still died.
I was doing 2-50 Wc daily, may need to increase that.

They just seem to be very delicate, more so than gourami', betta, or barbs.

I'll have lots of eggs to work with, I just hate loosing a bunch before getting it figured out.

Thanks for the input.

Incredulous_Ed
05-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Ram fry are extremely sensistive to nitrates. You will have to siphon the waste and change enough of the water everyday to keep them down. I dont think they would be too small for microworms though.

Algenco
05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Ram fry are extremely sensistive to nitrates. You will have to siphon the waste and change enough of the water everyday to keep them down. I dont think they would be too small for microworms though.

I believe thats the problem! I was using water from an established tank for the WC, just checked it and nitrates were 20.
I still didn't see more than half the spawn eat the microworms.

Starting them on paramecium and better water quality should do the trick!

Incredulous_Ed
05-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I believe thats the problem! I was using water from an established tank for the WC, just checked it and nitrates were 20.
I still didn't see more than half the spawn eat the microworms.

Starting them on paramecium and better water quality should do the trick!
Yep. Let us know how it goes.