PDA

View Full Version : dwarf frogs?

graceluvsplatys
05-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I rwally want some african dwarf frogs. would they fit in with pleco, platy,gourami, what?

also, breeding? ??

tell me all you know about these adorable little guys!

MandyL
05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Yep they should be fine with those. I had a couple many years back in a community tank and they are no problem. Just make sure they get a chance at food as they hunt by smell and not by sight and move slowly. They are adorable though, fun to watch them swim up for a gulp of air.

Breeding I have no clue. I wouldn't think it's the easiest thing to do.

smaug
05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
My wife has a pair in with guppys and swordtails,they have been doing great for over a year now.You should be ok,just make sure they get food.

graceluvsplatys
05-02-2008, 12:58 AM
feeding?
someone said gouramis will eat them.. is that true?
oh, and I know platys like salt... do frogs? gouramis? plecos?

smaug
05-02-2008, 01:00 AM
She feeds them a specialized food for frogs.I dont know how gouaramis would react toward them.

cocoa_pleco
05-02-2008, 02:01 AM
gouramis should be fine with them, the frogs usually stay at the bottom, and the gouramis usually stay at the top

Angila
05-02-2008, 03:54 AM
I hand feed mine tubifex worms i squish it up real good and put it in front of there face it's awesome but they of course can't eat the whole cube they only eat about a fourth of it but i just let my other fish eat the rest

toddnbecka
05-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Salt is completely unnecessary unless you're treating a case of Ich. They will breed in an aquarium, I remember seeing something about breeding/raising the critters a good while back. I'm sure a google search would turn up the necessary info. Keep the tank covered, they will escape if given the opportunity. Dried frogs aren't much fun.

graceluvsplatys
05-02-2008, 11:53 PM
thanks! how many shud I get? in a 20 g with a pleco maybe gourami, platy

toddnbecka
05-03-2008, 05:17 AM
However many you like, they aren't territorial critters. Just make sure you do get dwarf frogs, not African clawed frogs. Dwarfs don't grow very large, clawed frogs grow to the size of a softball and will eat smaller fish.

angelcakes
05-03-2008, 08:25 AM
However many you like, they aren't territorial critters. Just make sure you do get dwarf frogs, not African clawed frogs. Dwarfs don't grow very large, clawed frogs grow to the size of a softball and will eat smaller fish.
you can have as many as you like there is no limit,frogs will be ok with gouramis and there genraly peaceful as long as you dont have any long finned fish,and as for breeding it depends on how you choose you will possibly need more males than females,it can be hard to tell the difference between male and female but.............
the male: he has a stump on the back between his back legs and has more prominent pads by his top legs,
the female: no stump and less pads by the top legs
they breed by grabing each other it looks like cuddleing but there at it,
if you get young ones you may have to wait until theve grown abit and got used/picked out his/her mate,you will also need good hiding places for them to breed so that they dont feel threatended by other fish,if you want them to breed then you may have to adjust water temp and feed frozen bloodworm not freeze dried,it wont have the same affect,good luck with youre frogs:19:
toddandbecka the claw frogs that grow to the size of a softball are great:hmm3grin2orange:

graceluvsplatys
05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks, thats great!

Ryuu
05-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I bought mine about a three weeks ago, lol there the funniest little things to watch, but dont feed them everyday every other day is just fine.

angelcakes
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
one more thing even tho there small make sure you have a secure hood/lid on your tank they can jump quite high:19:

graceluvsplatys
05-04-2008, 03:41 AM
oh yes I have heard they are quite the long jumpers!
i was planning on getting a terarium screen lid, as the ones they make for reptiles are the strongest

angelcakes
05-04-2008, 08:20 AM
oh yes I have heard they are quite the long jumpers!
i was planning on getting a terarium screen lid, as the ones they make for reptiles are the strongest
you'll be fine then................:19:

graceluvsplatys
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
How high can they leap? cause the lids are pricey, and wont fit over my filter! If i left like 4 inches of space?

angelcakes
05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
How high can they leap? cause the lids are pricey, and wont fit over my filter! If i left like 4 inches of space?
they will go straight through that gap,would a condensation board help?

graceluvsplatys
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
whats that?

angelcakes
05-04-2008, 09:39 PM
its a peice of plastic that covers the top of the tank protects you lights from getting wet.

graceluvsplatys
05-05-2008, 02:59 AM
I made my own DIY lid:
two strips of saran wrap covering the sides.
A peice of cardboard down the middle, for water changing and feeding
how shoulfd that work?

Ellen4God
05-05-2008, 03:28 AM
The only problem is that when the cardboard gets wet, it'll get soft and start to fall apart - you know?

toddnbecka
05-05-2008, 05:05 AM
A regular glass cover for a 10 gallon isn't very expensive. They have a plastic strip that fits on the back you can cut out to fit around hob filters.

angelcakes
05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
A regular glass cover for a 10 gallon isn't very expensive. They have a plastic strip that fits on the back you can cut out to fit around hob filters.
that is what i meant lol..........but here its plastic not glass but it is cheap:19:

graceluvsplatys
05-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I looked for a cover and could not find
the cardboard can easily be replace.
also, this is a for now lid, untill I can build a better one or buy a good one

toddnbecka
05-06-2008, 03:35 AM
You should be able to buy or order a glass top from your lfs. Wal-Mart sells plastic hoods with lights. I picked up a pair of glass covers for my 55, but wasn't impressed with the thickness of the glass. I bought the hinge and splash guard for the back separately at the lfs, and had some 3/16" glass cut to fit for covers for another 55 and a 38.

graceluvsplatys
05-06-2008, 04:54 AM
hmmm... well, ill see how mine works, before I add the frogs!!

demosthenes
05-11-2008, 04:45 AM
i just made myself a lid out of a sheet of plexiglass. it was a little difficult to make a cutout for the filter but getting it down to size was pretty straight forward just score it with box cutters and bend it over a table edge to snap it. i think it looks pretty nice and cost about $10 at home depot.

toddnbecka
05-11-2008, 05:49 AM
A hacksaw or keyhole saw is good for cutting odd pieces out of plexiglass. The only problem is, unless it's quite thick it will bow/sag. Lexan is actually better for aquarium covers.

fishymommy
06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I have gouramis and a dwarf frog. The gouramis don't actually eat the frog, they eat the frogs food. If get an african dwarf clawed frog, looks exactly the same as a normal african dwarf frog, it will try to defend its food but do no harm whatsoever. My frog is really cute and "nips" at my fish but they don't even seem to notice but he still thinks he's big stuff. He also does fine with my pleco. Once in a while they try to shove each other over over the same froggy shrimp pellet but the pleco wins cus he's so much bigger lol

angelcakes
06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
I have gouramis and a dwarf frog. The gouramis don't actually eat the frog, they eat the frogs food. If get an african dwarf clawed frog, looks exactly the same as a normal african dwarf frog, it will try to defend its food but do no harm whatsoever. My frog is really cute and "nips" at my fish but they don't even seem to notice but he still thinks he's big stuff. He also does fine with my pleco. Once in a while they try to shove each other over over the same froggy shrimp pellet but the pleco wins cus he's so much bigger lol
watch out that friendly nip doesn't become a problem