PDA

View Full Version : Shy or Stressed GBRs?

Daybis
05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I recently ordered two GBRs from liveaquaria.com and they arrived yesterday. They have been in the tank for about 14 hours now. The water conditions are perfect and the tank is cycled. They are the only fish in the tank besides two Otocinclus cats. The two GRBs are sitting in the bottom of the tank and not active at all. Are they shy or extremely stressed out from the shipping? How long should I give them before I start to worry.

travie
05-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Both. They are stressed from the trip to your house. It could take up to a week before they are completely unstressed, but still check for illness that could harm them. Eventually they will warm up to you, and not dart away when you approach the tank.

RainMan
05-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah... I've been reading that they get stressed out easily and are generally pretty timid. You just have to keep them happy, don't disturb their environment for awhile, and they will come around.

:)

Daybis
05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. Should I try and feed them as if things were normal? I don't want the tank to get nasty if they aren't going to eat.

RainMan
05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Let them be your guide.... if they eat, then feed them. But, if they don't... keep trying a little bit until they do. But, you're right... don't let it get nasty. Just a few bits to see if they'll take it. If you have some mini sinking granules... that would be a good test. Try to drop it right in front of them.

LosC
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
They went through a very stressful moving process, give them some time to settle in and try not to startle them.

shalafi04
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
imo.... i would not worry. my GBR were shy and stressed for a good week after a 10min trip from the LFS. Give them time and just watch to make sure they aren't gasping for air and they are eating. :)

Incredulous_Ed
05-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I dunno....LiveAquaria's blue rams are raised in Thailland, so they might not be very good quality. Just wait it out and see. Feed a littlebit of food, and if they eat it, great, but if they dont, dont feed again for a day or two, as to not pollute water quality.

GreenTerrorNYC
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
GBR? You guys use too many acronyms sometimes, really hard for a learner.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
GBR = German Blue Ram

cocoa_pleco
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
German Blue Ram

EDIT- DAM! got bet to it. lol