PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Gecko shed his skin...

jbeining75
05-01-2008, 02:03 AM
Missed the picture as he ate it before I could get back upstairs to snap the photo but today my leopard gecko shed his skin for the first time in a month. How often do they shed out and eat their skin.... (Probably a Sailor or Tolley question I'd guess)... Anyone can answer though... I have read numerous things on the internet. Figured I go from some experienced members thoughts......

invadertoast
05-01-2008, 03:00 AM
I've had leos for 8 years now (had four, down to two) and mine seem to shed every 3 weeks. I think sometimes they go four, but I honestly don't really keep track. I think it differs for individual animals too.

sailor
05-01-2008, 03:03 AM
It varies J man, I have 1 male who seems to shed every couple of weeks like clockwork and 1 female who I have never seen shed. She must do it at night. The other 2 seem to be about once amonth.

invadertoast
05-01-2008, 03:09 AM
It varies J man, I have 1 male who seems to shed every couple of weeks like clockwork and 1 female who I have never seen shed. She must do it at night. The other 2 seem to be about once amonth.

Now that I think of it, my male seems to be in shed every other time I look in his cage, while I NEVER see my female actually go pale, I just find little peices of shed on her toes once in a while because she refuses to use any humid hide I try to give her. On the other hand, I used to catch the two girls that I used to have shedding all the time... I guess maybe some are more stealthy than others, lol

jbeining75
05-01-2008, 03:13 AM
The leopard gecko was a little dry and fully covered in shed and wouldn't go in the water so i just took a spray bottle and misted the entire tank. i came back three minutes later and he was eating the last of his entire shed... Crazy how fast he ate it.....

Tolley
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
i think you've got youre answer but another opinion is always good. geckos will shed every 2-4 weeks depending on their size. Your gecko is full gorwn so 4 weeks sounds good. If you ever miss a shed but he still looks nice and healthy. dont worry about as they will usually shed during the night and you'll completely miss it!

congrats on the shed.

Fishguy2727
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
It varies a lot, mainly depending on growth rate. Some young ones seem to immediately go in to the beginning of a shed cycle as soon as they shed their last skin. Some adults go months without shedding.

Since shedding is on the table, one important thing to remember is to have a shed box available at all times. This is basically a small palstic box, such as tupperware, that you cut a hole in the side of just big enough for the leo to get in and out of. Inside the box keep something that holds humidity up very well. Some people will double this as a lay box for gravid females, in which case vermiculite or perlite are ideal. If it is not to double as a lay box the best substrate seems to be paper towels. Whatever is in the box, keep it moist at all times. This may require daily additions of water. The shed provides the small humid area they would have access to in the wild. They are from an arid climate, but there is water, specifically in the ground in burrows, a leopard gecko's natural daily shelter. This is exactly how they lay their eggs, deep enough to get to moisture. The box helps prevents shedding problems that can lead to many problems such as skin left on the body. The biggest risk seems to be the toes because if the skin is not shed from the toes, it dries and tightens. This cuts off circulation and the toes can fall off. I have seen way too many leos with many, most, and even the occasional ALL toes partially missing because of this. Even with a shed box it is important to check your leo after every shed to ensure that all the skin has been shed.