PDA

View Full Version : How do I save eggs

rbotto
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a 55 gallon heavily planted community tank, the fish love it. I have clown loaches that are doing the lip lock thing and dancing all over the tank. If they are actually laying eggs, any suggestions about saving the eggs? I don't want to disrupt my aquascape.

kimmers318
11-17-2006, 05:24 AM
Since I so far haven't read/heard of any accounts of someone getting clown loaches to breed in captivity I will start by wishing you the best of luck :)
How large are they....I believe they must be quite large to spawn. If you do get lucky collecting the eggs will probably depend on how they spawn them. Some fish stick them to plants or decor, which makes it pretty easy to just remove the item. Others like to scatter. Try searching for some info on HOW clowns spawn to get a better idea of what you might be heading for in terms of egg collection and then hatching and rearing eggs.

Fishguy2727
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Petsmart only carries captive bred fish and they do carry clown loaches, so they are captive bred. However, this can usually mean big fish farms in Florida or East Asia, so they get the temps, photoperiod, HUGE vats of water, and professionals to care for them. Research into loach/botia breeding may be your best approach. This way you will know how the fry need to be raised (probably on some micro food you will need to culture yourself) as well as how they will breed in the tank as previously mentioned. Most likely this is not the case, but it would not hurt to see how it should be done if this is a rare case where they are actually breeding.