PDA

View Full Version : My shubunkins

kerryk
11-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Hello from central Texas:

I have a nice water garden of 45 gallons where my 3 shubunkins (Goldie, Blackie and Whitey {due to colorations on their head}) live. They are the cutest, happiest fish, and boy, have they grown. They really enjoy meal time and I can sometimes touch them when they are at the water surface gobbling their flakes.

Our winters here are pretty mild. We sometimes get freezing weather, but it usually doesn't last very long. I have grown so attached to my shubies that I would hate to have something happen to them in the cold.

My question is should I bring them into an indoor aquarium for the winter months and then transfer them back in the spring? Would this be detrimental to them? Or are they hardy enough to overwinter?

Thanks so much for your responses.-----kerry

Lady Hobbs
11-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Can you heat the water in your garden since the pond is not that large? There must be some kind of heater people use for outdoor ponds. You would also probably need to cover it on the really cold days with a tarp to hold the warmth in. It would save the stress of moving them each winter.

Welcome to the forum!