PDA

View Full Version : New snail pics

Wild Turkey
04-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Heres my two big ones. One is female the other is male, the only way i know it they just recently started spawning, no eggs yet though. I bought two more today but they are smaller, enjoy!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=13480

Angila
04-29-2008, 11:44 PM
cute snails hope u have better luck with yours than i am haveing with my mystery snails lol if yours lay eggs maybe u can tell me what i am doing wrong:c12:

Wild Turkey
04-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Heres hoping... lol

jbeining75
04-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Good looking pics Turkey.... Love the snails...

Angila
05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
I thought snails were both male and female am i wrong? I read on a site that there just has 2 be 2 mystery snails 2 have babies one to fertilize the eggs and one to lay them. I am confused now someone please set me straight.

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 03:02 AM
I thought snails were both male and female am i wrong? I read on a site that there just has 2 be 2 mystery snails 2 have babies one to fertilize the eggs and one to lay them. I am confused now someone please set me straight.

Nope. Males and Females, you can tell the difference physically, but it is pretty difficult. Right now i have four in my snail tank, and they pair off and do not come in physical contact with the two that they dont mate with. Its pretty interesting, and i wasnt expecting this type of behavior.

Angila
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
how do you know if they are male or female?

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
They have something like a "penal shealth" in the shell, but its difficult to tell becuase its rare they are far enough out of their shell to see it. Some say there are other ways but i havent been able to distinguish at all until they start going at it, and thats mostly what i hear from others as well. Even then sometimes its hard to tell, and two of mine are pretty large, around the half dollar size in diameter.

Angila
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM
all of my snails have that thing that comes out of there shell so how did i end up with babies.

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
all of my snails have that thing that comes out of there shell so how did i end up with babies.

Youre mis-identifying them, you are probably talking about the siphon. Im telling you, its very, very difficult to see. The siphon is used for breathing.

edit: corrected spelling

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
This should help.

http://www.applesnail.net/content/illustrations/anatomy/male_female_differ.gif

See what i mean? The chances of you correctly sexing mysterys while they are alive and in the tank are very very slim. See how far out of the shell they have to be? And even then difference is very small, and probably unnoticeable in smaller specimens.

Angila
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
ok well if you get a pic of his thingy will u please post it as i don't know what i am seeing the thing i see comes out and can get pretty long....just thought they had good genes lol jk that was gross.

Angila
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you!:laugh1blue:

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Np, yes you are definitely seeing his/her siphon. LOL at the good genes