PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why that angel was in an odd position now

MiamiCuse
04-29-2008, 03:38 AM
A while back I posted that I had a pair of angel fish, one of them got tangled in some plants and died. So I bought another angel to introduce into the tank.

This one was doing ok for a day or so, then it started to always hiding behind some plant and in an odd vertical position (like it's looking up) and refuse to eat. That one died within three days.

Now I added yet another one, and day one was ok, day two it too hid behind some plants and look up vertically and refuse to eat. I noticed that it has a perfect tail fin and now it's torn up. I think the lone male molly I had in the tank (who harassed his female to death a month ago) was overly aggressive. I saw him chase them before but not to the point of tearing up the fins.

Now this new angel is also in the odd position, I guess it's won't last past tomorrow night.

Should I isolate the molly or give it back to the LFS?

Wild Turkey
04-29-2008, 03:45 AM
Unless you have a special attachment to it, i would return it. Its already killed 2 angels, possibly a third. I wouldnt let my one dollar fish kill anything in my tank. Im sorry to hear he is a mean one but some fish are just aggressive, its a personality thing.

Lady Hobbs
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
It sounds to me as you are trying to add a baby angel possibly with an older one? That "looking up" is a stance they take to allow the other the dominance.........like a dog laying down in front of another dog more dominate or laying on it's back. It's a sign of submission.

If introducting new fish to your tank, you may have to re-arrange the tank but if you have a dominate angel in your tank and adding a new one you will run into this problem. Also, if your tank is not large enough. Angels do not like being crowded, need plenty of space and hiding areas of their own and at least 20 gallons per angel.

Moved to the angelfish forum.

sanddigger
05-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Angels can be very mean. They are cichlids. When breeding they are "nasty little things". Very territorial. I have had experiences with two Breeding Pair( Marbles and Pearls) they killed my panda corys and attack me when I was doing a wc. LOL I sure was glad they didn't have teeth.

I thought all others were safe because they were introduced "before" the angels. I was so wrong. They protect their swimmers.

If you have a breeding pair in less than a footprint of 36"w x 24"h, think about what you have in the tank along with them.