PDA

View Full Version : My Lab is in trouble...

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 12:27 AM
it is hanging out on the bottom really struggling...my NH3 was 1 ppm and NO2 was 1.6 I did a couple 15% water changes back to back and it is around .75 ppm and NO2 .8 now...the rest of the fish are energetic with no noticeable signs of stress. This yellow lab has been kind of lethargic from the first day...another thing its coat has looked strange from day one...it has some sort of gray scuff over the eyes and dorsal part of the head and his coat has been very dull. I think he was ill to begin with...I still do not want him to die. He'll get up and swim real pathetically for a while then drop back down...booooooooo, not cool.

Drumachine09
04-29-2008, 12:31 AM
What method did you use to cycle the tank?

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 12:46 AM
bio-spira added several days later than I should have have old gravel and bio balls...I should have done a fishless cycle...can't go wrong with a little patience. I have some left over cycle in the fridge could that help?

Drumachine09
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Cycle doesn't do squat. Just keep doing water changes until your levels even out.

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 02:09 AM
What do you think the gray scuffy stuff on his dorsal side head and back that has been there since I got him?

Dixie
04-29-2008, 02:27 AM
I dunno but I hope he doesn't give it to your other fish. I'd take him out and take him back to the store.

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah, he acted weird ever since I got him and had that dull coate with the gray stuff on his head...I was hoping he would snap out of it...I came home from a meeting and found him wrapped around my AC 70 intake...poor little dude. I freed him and he swam off but I don't think he'll make it through the night. My other Lab and the Dems are very active and have great color my levels were never spiked so to speak. I believe he has an opportunistic parasite of some sort whether it is bacterial or some eukaryote. I just think it sucks he is suffering.

RainMan
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Could be fish slime disease... I just did a google on it. Usually caused by a parasite when the slime coat on the fish is disturbed. Could've been caused when the fish was netted or in transit. He would probably need to be removed and quarantined for successful treatment. But, definitely keep changing that water... ammonia is deadly. And this fish is really succeptible to it now. That's probably your best bet now.

What's your temp at?

Sorry man!

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
80 degrees...checked this morning the poor little warrior has move on to Valhalla :(

Cichlid*Newbie
04-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Cycle doesn't do squat. Just keep doing water changes until your levels even out.

Dont you add water conditioner and cycle both when you do your water changes?

siymdapolio
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
80 degrees...checked this morning the poor little warrior has move on to Valhalla :(
Sorry to hear that but VAlhalla is the best place to be!!!

A big wooden cabin for all the viking warriors who died with a sword in there hand. the cabin consisted of many pretty blondes and vikings and of course the goat that hangs form the ceiling and empties endless amount of beer out of its utter....

I would have to say your lab is having a good time there.

sorry to hear about that i have had the same luck yesterday with a bacterial infection from a sick tank form the lfs... i got free medicine and full refund so.... but anyways sorry for youtr loss

RainMan
04-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry about that... it happens. Especially in a new tank. You might be able to argue that the fish was sick from day one and get a refund or store credit. It doesn't make your fish come back.. but, it's better than nothing.

The Wedge
04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Actually, the labs came free because I traded back some female johannii for them. I always use stress coat or aquasafe to condition the water I am adding in during a change...At this point I am staying away from any biosphere altering products. It would suck to kill the bacteria I've been working so hard to culture. My other fish are strong...to siymdapolio: May Odin guide there way through the perilous battle :)