PDA

View Full Version : Rubbernose/Bulldog Pleco

KINGMED
04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Picked up a tiny one this weekend about 1 inch in length for my 29 gallon, he/she has made himself quite at home already. My question is how good are they at eating algae from the tank, I preferred getting a bristlenose which I probably will but I thought what the heck. I bought some flakes that have algae as the main ingredient but he seems to be sucking all around the tank everywhere, the tank has been set up for about 6 weeks so I'm sure it has some algae that he can find.

Demjor19
04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
some are better than others at cleaning glass and decor, but i would never count on them keeping it clean. it was a good idea picking up the flake food...my plecs like Omega one veggie rounds alot. you may want to try them as well.

LosC
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I got a bulldog pleco in a same size tank too and it doesn't keep the algae down noticeably. I've never seen it eat the food I put in but it seems to be doing well now for 3 weeks. Drop some food in its tank at night and don't worry about it. I've heard Bristlenoses are better at consuming algae. A group of Otos would be your best choice. Give your bulldog lots of shady areas.

Sniffles
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Eats algae but diet should be supplimented with algae wafers and fresh green vegetables such as zucchini slices, cucumber slices, romaine lettuce, spinach or peas.

angelcakes
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Eats algae but diet should be supplimented with algae wafers and fresh green vegetables such as zucchini slices, cucumber slices, romaine lettuce, spinach or peas.
you may also want to try some sinking wood

KINGMED
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
What I have for food is Tetramin flakes and round tablets, hikari algae wafers, hikari frozen brine shrimp, some betta flakes and the algae flakes that have some sort of algae as main ingredient. I don't feed all at once I usually will feed on or two of these every 2-3 days, the brine shrimp about 3 times a week, I also have freeze dried blood worms that gets fed to them about 2-3 times each week.

Sniffles
05-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I think they need vegetables in their diet.All of my tanks normally every night gets some sort of vegie.Also what angelcakes said about driftwood is great,they eat it also.