PDA

View Full Version : treating ick in scaleless fish.

William
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I recommend everybody to read the article treating ich/ick in scaleless fish (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../disease/ickscaleless.php) by Jb to learn more about treating scaleless fish.

LORENZO
11-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I just spotted this article you recommended. I have been successful with Aquirisol (can't spell tonight) but it does work. I used it one time on clowns. Have you ever heard of Super Cure Ick? Just wondering if that had traces of copper in it?

Mvjnz
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I always just use heat treatment. Works perfectly on every fish I've tried it on.

LORENZO
11-29-2008, 11:00 AM
What did you put the heat up to? I know clowns can take 84-86 but little fish such as herry barbs con't. ARe cories okay in 82 i am sure they are. I will keep this in mind. Now the cyle for ick is usually a week so you just leave the heat up for that amount of time?

Mvjnz
11-29-2008, 01:20 PM
32 degrees celsius.

I've used that on fish which aren't supposed to tolerate heat well, such as goldfish and pakistani loaches, and it never bothered them.

frank_zappa
02-21-2009, 07:11 PM
hello, i am currently heat-salt-treating 10 and a 46 gallon tanks....

the heater in my 10 gallon is a 50 watt and does not seem to want to get above 85....i could put the light on perhaps but i wanted to leave it off. (6 tiger barbs)

the heater in my 46 gallon is 150 watts and i am now at 84 and i think still rising. (3 cories, 3 zebra danios, 2 serpae tetra, 1 rainbow shark)

please, could you tell me if these heaters are capable of raising my water temp in both tanks to 88 degrees, or even 86? should i buy a larger heater, or do i just need to wait and let it rise? im pretty sure the 10 gallon temp isnt going up any further and it is pinned.

i have another thread detailing everything ive been doing to treat this so far.

Wild Turkey
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
You dont use the Mj's heat treatment with the salt treatment. If you are treating with salt, 84 is fine and is exactly where i would want my temp for speeding up the life cycle.

88-90 degrees is not tolerable to most fish, the only reason i would even consider raising my heat that high for ich is a last resort, as 88 has the ability to kill a lot of fish. I think 88 degress for a goldfish over medicine and an airstone is a gung-ho way of dealing with it and you are risking other fish getting sick or dying just from being so far out of their optimal temperature.

Im pretty sure we had someone with pandas loose them via this method. And they are a great example of a fish that will die at 88 degrees. Max temp for them is around 75.

frank_zappa
03-15-2009, 12:03 AM
the ich problem has been gone now for a couple of weeks and i am finally past all of that. i definitely preferred the salt and raised temp method as opposed to the use of the rid-ich

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I recommend everybody to read the article treating ich/ick in scaleless fish (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/../disease/ickscaleless.php) by Jb to learn more about treating scaleless fish.

Wish more people would read this and just use the half doses of Ick Quard. Ick Quard11 (for sensitive fish) is also available now which is probably about the same as using the half doses.

I'm reading more and more articles that scaleless fish do not tolerate the salt treatments well at all. Because we are "used to" doing things one way does not mean it's the best way.

Crispy
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Wish more people would read this and just use the half doses of Ick Quard. Ick Quard11 (for sensitive fish) is also available now which is probably about the same as using the half doses.

I'm reading more and more articles that scaleless fish do not tolerate the salt treatments well at all. Because we are "used to" doing things one way does not mean it's the best way.

I agree LH. I have 8 scaleless fish in my tank and have successfully gotten rid of ich with the "half-dose"/waterchange method without a single loss. Infact, it's worked a few times over the years.

Donna McLellan
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank in which I have pink tulip eel and a amphivious frog and a few placos The tank is infected with ick and I,m not sure how to treat it. I was going to use quick cure but, everyone tells me different things. First can I use this with an eel and frog? If so, how much of a dosage and for how long? Should I do 25% water changes every day and raise the temp.? I'd hate to lose my eel,I've had him for 4 years. I recently removed a large oscar from the tank because he was terrorizing everyone, I think the stress of him hascaused the ick. Help,how do I handle this situation without loosing my beautiful eel and frog?

smaug
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank in which I have pink tulip eel and a amphivious frog and a few placos The tank is infected with ick and I,m not sure how to treat it. I was going to use quick cure but, everyone tells me different things. First can I use this with an eel and frog? If so, how much of a dosage and for how long? Should I do 25% water changes every day and raise the temp.? I'd hate to lose my eel,I've had him for 4 years. I recently removed a large oscar from the tank because he was terrorizing everyone, I think the stress of him hascaused the ick. Help,how do I handle this situation without loosing my beautiful eel and frog?
Have you read the article this thread is about?

Donna McLellan
03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a 90 gallon tank and an ick problem. In this tank, I have a large pink tulip eel and amphibious frog and 2 placos. I recently removed a large mean oscar who had been terrorizing everyone(probably the cause of the ick). the problem is everyone tells me something different. I was planning to use quick cure but I don't know if the eel or frog would be sensitive to this. Also should I raise the water temp. and do a 25% water change everyday? Help, I,m afraid to kill my beautiful eel with the cure.

smaug
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I have treated with quick cure by api many times with my dwarf frogs and many catfish and loach species I have.I have never lost any of them,I use a little more then half doses and elevate the temps as well.You will have to treat with some method or you will lose fish by lack of action.Did you read through the article mentioned in the first post?

montana272
09-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Here is the problem that I have. I have a Dojo loach. I am afraid to increase the temperature to 82 degrees to treat the Ick, because Dojo's do not tolerate high heat, at least that is what I read. I am afraid he will die. I have a 29 Gal Tank. Here is what is in it. Dojo Loach, Clown Loach, 2 Marble type Mollies, Plecostomus, small angel fish, 3 Tetras, 2 rainbow rams, and a beta. They are all pretty small. 11 fish total. I treated them for ick, using Clear at 1/2 dose, with daily water changes 50%, took out my carbon filter, for two days. The ick is not gone. On the third dose my angle seemed stressed so I took out 50% of the water and replaced the carbon filter. He seems fine now. I kept testing my water for any PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and so on during this time. It all seemed fine.
So I thought of going back to the store and buying a ick guard 11 instead (for sensitive fish) and I was going to increase the temp to 82% but after reading that Dojo Loach's don't thrive in that temp, I am worried. What can I do? I did read the article posted and that is my plan of action, but because the Dojo Loach thrives on less heat, should I try to move him and treat him separately? Oh, I forgot to mention that I did not increase the temp because I have one of those stupid heaters that does not adjust. I was going to go buy a different heater for this treatment. Thanks

montana272
09-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I just did it anyway, and have been watching for stress. I am so sick of this ick. I just hope it goes away and I don't lose any fish.

montana272
09-26-2009, 03:11 AM
I just did it anyway, and have been watching for stress. I am so sick of this ick. I just hope it goes away and I don't lose any fish.

Out of 11 fish I have 6 left. Even thou the fish for sure had ick, they had something else as well. I am treating that along with the ick.
With that said, It is important to note, that everyone has something different to say on the issue of riding your fish of ick. It can be very confusing. Some people say "don't do water changes" some people say "do water changes" Some people say "turn the heat up to 84" some people say "don't turn the heat up that high" Some people said "don't treat a bacteria the same time you treat for ick" and visa versa.
However, I finally broke down after the 5th fish died. I keep my heat at 80 degrees not 82 and I have treated with Ick Guard and Bionox. I called the company to make sure it was ok. I did not notice a Bacteria infection. However after 6 days of using the ick meds and not seeing anything but dead fish, I decided I had nothing to lose at this point. I do believe that this website is the most informative, with the most accurate information. Thank you, goes out to the owner of this site.

ruhorserider
11-12-2011, 09:36 PM
It seems like different solutions work for different fish and set-ups. a little research on the net suggests that if you start treating early (as soon as you see anything abnormal at all) temp and salt works pretty well, but can fail if you wait too long. Which is kind of what I must have done. :-(