PDA

View Full Version : Does my betta have fin rot?

graceluvsplatys
04-28-2008, 02:30 AM
I have a female betta in a 1 gal, and because I have no filter or heater, I do 30% water changes per day with 80 degree water. I plan to try her in an upcoming community tank, But I noticed that the tips of her dorsal fins are redddish. I dont know if she has had it for her whole life, it is not getting bigger or darker. It really is just the tips. Her behavoir is completely normal, very active and social.
Is she getting fin rot? or is this natural? I cant post pics, cause you can barely see it without the poloriod flash!
I dont want her to be moved into a new community tank untill shes cured if this is the case.
(she is white with blue fins)

thanks for any help!

Nick_Pavlovski
04-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Ah, I just added another reply back in the "Beginner" thread...

here's what I said:

"She sounds like she's fine.
But keep monitoring it.
Never medicate unless you have to - a lot of things can be controlled and even eliminated by regular water changes, increasing the temp slightly for a while, and making sure there's plenty of oxygen.

If she currently isn't in a tank with a heater, then put the tank somewhere where it cannot be affected but changes in the air temperature. So, out of drafts, away from heathers and airconditioners.

Try finding as much polystyrene or foam and wrapping the tank in that, it will help insulate it."

graceluvsplatys
04-29-2008, 03:25 AM
help me
I am now sure she has fin rot!

the red became a reddish brown, and has extended farther up!
she is less active, hardly eats, and always pulls her little fins to her sides!
how do treat!

i will try to get a pic!

Nick_Pavlovski
04-29-2008, 06:13 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/tailfinrot.php

"External treatment by antibiotics is usually enough to treat this disease but the disease can be internally medicated as well. Which option you choose might depend on the size of your aquarium etc as medicating the water in a large tank can be expensive. If you choose to internally medicate your fish you should mix 1% antibiotics (chloromycetin /chloramphenicol, tetracycline or other similar antibiotics) in the food. Make sure that the fish eat the medicated food. If you decide to medicate the water you should add 20-30 mg per litre water of the same antibiotics I mentioned above for internal treatment".

Also, a number of people have commented that adding garlic juice to the food is a great help, too. Garlic juice is a great natural medicine.

Nick_Pavlovski
04-29-2008, 06:19 AM
sera baktopur 50 ml
http://www.sera-usa.com/product.php?productid=16313&cat=412&page=1

"sera baktopur reliably combats bacterial diseases such as mouth and fin rot and grayish-white resp. fluff-like areas on the skin and the fins of freshwater fish in aquarium and pond."

graceluvsplatys
04-30-2008, 12:28 AM
all right now it just looks like it has red tipped fins........ not brown. Should I medicate? i am not sure. it is the long little fins on the sides

cocoa_pleco
04-30-2008, 01:00 AM
red tips could be from blood, just keep the water clean. fin rot bacteria cannot live in clean water.

if it looks really bad, add aquarium salt

graceluvsplatys
04-30-2008, 04:32 AM
ok. good to know