PDA

View Full Version : new cichlids

dolphinsrok
04-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi, I just bought 3 bright yellow small chiclids which were on sale at petco i already have a few mollies and neon tetras & red and sunset-fire platties in my 35g. Would most of these fish get along? So far it's been a few hoursand things are real calm, I just did a 40% h2o change will do another change in a few days Do the cichlids need real high ph? I'm not using any salt now, but should I?

jbeining75
04-27-2008, 11:05 PM
If they are electic yellows or more commonly labs the neons are in trouble. They will get eaten eventually. Are the fish long and skinny and have a black stripe down their top fin or on their tail...

Do you have any pics???

dolphinsrok
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, they're african cichlids, yellow with the black line running along their top fin. Beautiful fish, I hope I can keep themm they're pretty small, the blue neon tetras are only a little smaller than the cichlids here is a pic (not that great but)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=4874&cat=500&ppuser=13157

GreenTerrorNYC
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
In most of my experiences cichlids shouldnt be mixed with community fish due to their territoriality and agressiveness when wanting to breed, or protecting a fry.

They may seem to get along now but once your cichlid grows a little bit and reaches breeding age he will dominate the other fish to prove hes top dog in the tank.

Your "yellow" cichlids may be an exception, find out their real names and check their combatibility chart, i may be mistaken but i know with convicts, and green terrors this is not good.

cocoa_pleco
04-28-2008, 09:41 PM
hmmmmm, do the cichlids look like zebras?

Dixie
04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I think they are yellow labs..electric yellows( Labidochromis caeruleus). They like a high pH. Not sure your other fish do. It's not recommended they be kept together.

kitten3326
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
They do look like yellow labs to me, they will grow very quickly and are not as agressive as some of the other african cichlids, however I do not think they will do very well with your neons. Sorry:(

Collin1104
05-01-2008, 05:08 AM
a yellow cichlid thats on sale at petco lol of course its a yellow lab

RainMan
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
That's a pretty tank... I hope you are paying attention to everyone so far. You should get those yellow labs out of their before your fish start dissapearing or end up shredded to death.

Those are lake malawi, mbuna.... They can not be combined with your nice community fish on many levels. Aggression, water chemistry differences, tank requirements, territorial, feeding, and size differences are just a few reasons. They will grow quick... within a few months they will be double that size... and will quickly take over.

Sorry!