PDA

View Full Version : Malawi Cichlid / new tank help

FlyinBrian
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi, I just recently bought a new 70 litre tank and was hoping to have maybe 4 or 5 Malawi Cichlids in it, however I'm starting to have a few doubts as I've read that the tank I have is too small although I'm not sure. I set the tank up 4 days ago and was planning to introduce the fish to it on May 5th, giving the water a chance to mature etc. I have coral sand in the tank, as well as rock and coral. I've also tried my best to make little caves.

I did a little PH test on the water as well and it still seems to be too low for Malawi's but I don't know if it'll probably raise the level in the coming days.

Here is a picture of my tank, I'd be grateful if someone could advise me on whether it's suitable or not. I was thinking maybe just forgetting the Malawi's and going for other tropical fish such as Tiger Barbs, Cory's, Guppies.. maybe Angel Fish?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/flyin_br1an/DSCF0823.jpg

RainMan
04-27-2008, 01:05 PM
70L = 18Gal... ummmm. You could use that as a fry grow-out tank. But, that's it. Don't even think african cichlids. 55gal is minimum setup.... and 75gal or bigger is recommended.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new.

Your tank looks like it is setup for saltwater... that looks like the makings for a micro-reef marine tank. Have you thought about trying that?

Dixie
04-27-2008, 01:05 PM
WOW! That is one gorgeous tank! I really think it is to small for most malawi cichlids though and I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of trying to keep the pH up on your softer water. Your should really cycle the tank before adding fish anyway and 4 days isn't long enough to do that so that will give you time to decide on fish for in it. There should be a good article here in the group about cycling but I have to run now and can't find it for you. Sorry. I hope someone else can help you out with that. Congrats on putting together such an awesome looking tank. Well done!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Actually, if you were interested in some of the Tanganiykan shell dweller species, that tank would be a good size.

FlyinBrian
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
70L = 18Gal... ummmm. You could use that as a fry grow-out tank. But, that's it. Don't even think african cichlids. 55gal is minimum setup.... and 75gal or bigger is recommended.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new.

Your tank looks like it is setup for saltwater... that looks like the makings for a micro-reef marine tank. Have you thought about trying that?

I feared that it was too small! Oh well I'll need to maybe try something else. As for the Saltwater option, well I asked the owner of an Aquarium shop for some advice on setting up a saltwater tank, as that is what I wanted in the first place. He asked me to describe my tank, which I did. He said that unfortunately due to the lid on the tank, its not suitable for saltwater or marine fish, as they need things to hang over the edge of the tank. Is this right?

WOW! That is one gorgeous tank! I really think it is to small for most malawi cichlids though and I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of trying to keep the pH up on your softer water. Your should really cycle the tank before adding fish anyway and 4 days isn't long enough to do that so that will give you time to decide on fish for in it. There should be a good article here in the group about cycling but I have to run now and can't find it for you. Sorry. I hope someone else can help you out with that. Congrats on putting together such an awesome looking tank. Well done!

Thanks alot for the tank compliment! Yeah I know 4 days isn't enough time before adding fish, I'm gonna be adding them on May 5th. You mentioned cycling the tank.. I don't have a clue about doing this. How would I do it?

Actually, if you were interested in some of the Tanganiykan shell dweller species, that tank would be a good size.

Hmm I've never heard of this species... I'll need to look them up on the net.

RainMan
04-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Go here and post your tank pic... then pose the question. I'm sure someone can get you going. I'm not sure what the hang over reference meant. But, probably related to filtration or lighting. I know very little about salt water.
Nano reef section (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)

You're gonna have a hard time finding shell dwellers at the lfs... I have been having a really hard time getting them. Looks like, I have to mail order mine. But, you need to do a lot of research on these fish... they have very specific requirements. But, ILGB is right.. that size is good for that species. However, not with your tank decorations. They need an open floor with a bed of shells only. Plus... I bet you're looking for colorful fish, hence the interest in african cichlids. Most shellies are very plain looking. It's their behavior that interests most.

You need to cycle your tank first anyway. And you can't plan it so it is on a specific day. It takes a different amount of time for each tank. Here's info on it. Also follow the links on the second post by Hobbs. Fishless cycle - How to (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2678)

One more thing, I should meantion... hard coral is not acceptable for many types of fish. It is extremely abrasive and can cause severe damage to the fish. So, keep that in mind. However, it is a pretty tank. I could tell you were leaning towards saltwater. You should get a book or do some research. Start at the forum section I posted above.