PDA

View Full Version : My two Bannded Gouramis

freshwaterfishlover
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
My store calls Banned Gouramis Giant Gouramis. I put 2 Giant(banned) Gouramis in my 30 Gallon Tank a week ago and today I noticed the two Fighting. I also noticed that one of them ate pieces of the others tail off.

I shure have enought Plants in the tank. 3 Bundles of Anachoris, 2 Bundles of Cabomba, 1 bundle of Ludwigia and a Sword Plant.

What should I do?

Glasstapper
11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
It just sounds like you have a couple of fiesty males. I have actual hiding spots for my two dwarfs. One lives in a hollowed out articifial driftwood piece, and the other likes to hang out behind my sunken ship. I've noticed that when they're done fighting, they just go to their retreats so they don't have to look at each other. LOL.

Do they both have spots they like where they can't see each other? Also, the fighting may subside a little after their territory has been well established. It took mine about a week or so to fully stake their claims.

freshwaterfishlover
11-15-2006, 03:46 PM
The weird thing is, only one is doing the fighting. The one that is getting it's tail eaten up acts like nothing is happening. Let me explain more. The fish that is getting it's tail eaten will jerk away, but does not attack back in anyway.

I do not think they found a spot yet. The only one I see hidding in the tank is the Micro CatFish. It hides under a Cabomba or the 3 Bundles of Anachoris I have in a row.

freshwaterfishlover
11-15-2006, 04:23 PM
UPDATE: Now The Giant(banned) Gourami is having a hard time swimming and does flips now when it swims. The other Giant Gourami has left it alone, but now I see one of the Peral Gourami eating at it's tail.

kimmers318
11-15-2006, 04:52 PM
separate the 2, for whatever reason they don't want to live that closely together and it is liable to get worse not better

freshwaterfishlover
11-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I is now behind a row of 3 Anachoris plants, but I think it may be dead.

freshwaterfishlover
11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I have another question. Do you think it was just between thoses two fish or if I buy another they will still fight?

kimmers318
11-16-2006, 04:59 AM
It could be just between those 2 fish...you never know, or it could be that you have an unusually aggressive gourami. I had that with my german blue ram. If you decide to try again I would suggest dividing the tank and giving each a space of his own for awhile. There is alot you have to watch carefully when you do this as far as water parameters are concerned due to flow issues, but it may be worth it. This gives each fish a chance to see and be seen, but not fight. Plus the "newbie" gets a chance to get fat and healthy. After a couple of weeks, remove the divider, do a large water change and rearrange and add new decor....essentially give both fish a brand new home with no territories staked out. They should be so involved in checking things out, relaxing once the havoc you created is done, and finding a new spot they will probably leave each other alone. They will find a safe place to call their own, and with any luck live harmoniously afterwards. If that doesn't work I would have to think your gourami just isn't going to accept another gourami, no matter what, unless you find one that is more of a bully than he is....but then he may get hurt!
Keep us posted on how things go!

freshwaterfishlover
11-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I bought another Bannded Or Giant Gourami today lets see what happens.

freshwaterfishlover
11-25-2006, 06:10 AM
I bought another Bannded Gourami about a week ago and have not seen any fighting yet. Also my 2 Peral Gouramis never fight.

Abbeys_Mom
11-25-2006, 12:31 PM
The other one could have been suffering from the move. If a fish is showing signs of illness the other fish will try to get it out of there territory so they don't get sick too. I have seen it alot over the years. No one wants the sick fish so the whole tank will drive it around and around till it's so stressed it dies. It helps to quarantine your fish before you introduce them (so a sick fish has time to become healthy and adjust to your water parameters).

freshwaterfishlover
11-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I just got home and saw the other Bannded gourami with pieces of his or her tail eatten off.Last time I saw the other Bannded hitting it, but not this time. If It dies I will not buy another Bannded Gourami. My Peral have beem great for a month and a half. The other bannded has been doing great for just as long.

Lady Hobbs
11-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Male gourami's will show dominance to each other. Generally it's only nudging and chasing without much harm. A female would calm him down but then there'd be aggression with the mating program. Seems to always be something. The larger gouramis are much more aggressive than the dwarfs.