PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish and Gouramis

Zushi
11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Are angelfish and gouramis compatible as tank mates?

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Depends on the fish I'm afraid. One of my angels do well in community tanks. The other gets along with nothing much.

kimmers318
11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
And if I am not mistaken...aren't angels actually a cichlid....alot of cichlids can be tempermental and iffy...the best solution is to try something if you want, but be prepared to return or rehome any problem children. That is how I ended up with a bunch of tanks and misfits....couldn't stomach having to return fish I bought (I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't want them) so I end up rehoming them in my OWN home.

Fishguy2727
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Angels are cichlids, as are the usuals (oscars, african peacocks, etc.) and discus, rams, and obviously thousands of others.

I would consider dwarf gouramis to be fine if the pH and other parameters match up. Angels have become very hardy over the years and when properly cared for can thrive in pHs from 6.0-7.6. However it needs to be stable and water quality should be very high. TFH publications has a great book on angelfihs. It is "Breeding and Raising Angelfish" I think. It has a nice hand drawn cover and is harc bound and should retail for about $15. If at all interested in angels, this book is invaluable.

crackatinny
11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
I have a pair of dwarf gourami as well as a white angel and a marble angle, the guourami get along well with both angles, I had more trouble with the marble angle giving the white one a hard time, If anything the gourami tended to protect the white angle.

kimmers318
11-16-2006, 04:51 AM
See...each fish is different, just as each person is different! Crackatinny, did you have these fish as juveniles? I have a sneaking suspicion, just based on my fish experiences, that it might be much easier to have fish get along that might not always otherwise if they are young and haven't had a chance to learn they shouldn't. :)

crackatinny
11-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Yes they are juvinile fish, at least I know the angels are, these 2 also seem to be getting along a little better now

kufan
11-18-2006, 03:24 AM
I have 2 dwarf gourami's and an angle fish in my 20 gallon tank, and I haven't had any problems. But as is with any fish, you just have to try it out. Some angel fish are very tempramental and some are very relaxed, it just depends on the fish.

I will also say this much, when you go to pick your angel fish out, slowly place your hand up to the glass and watch and see which ones come up and "try" to peck at it. You will want to choose one of the ones that does try to peck at it, because usually they are the healthier fish.

KU