PDA

View Full Version : Sex of zebras??

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 02:33 AM
Can anyone tell if these are male or female, best pick i could get.

OscarFan
04-26-2008, 02:43 AM
look close the males will have a bluish tint in their fins. They are to close to be males. So atleast one is female. my money is on both females. And the head is pointy instead of rounded.

Both females.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Hmm well in the pic the only one id think would have blue in the fin is the lighter one on the top right..which is the smaller one....hmm but i dont really see blue when i look up close

OscarFan
04-26-2008, 02:48 AM
now that I look at it closer they are to light to be males to.. Are you trying to breed them??

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Well no...im new to this, just kinda wanted to know what sex they were. I may not keep them..i have them with kenyis if the aggression gets too much i may have to get rid of them.

OscarFan
04-26-2008, 02:53 AM
I aint familiar with kenyis but my male Zebra is highly aggresive. he killed another male and bights my Oscar in the tale.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 02:54 AM
So you'd guess these to be females, it so that good, then i only have one male in the tank. The zebras are really good actually dont bother the kenyi

Dixie
04-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Hmmm I dunno. From what I've read, the females stay darker reddish orange and the males get lighter color as they get older, almost a peachy color. Unless you get the kind like wild caught where the males are blue. I have 3 red zebras and they have all gone from being a bright reddish orange to a lighter peachy color so I'm assuming they are all three male. I know the largest one of mine (about full grown) is starting to turn into a meanie. Again if I don't get a bigger tank or some females, they are gone. Two of them will be any way. I don't want more than one male.

Dixie
04-27-2008, 05:11 AM
Cichlidnewbie,
I hope you don't think I'm saying everything you're doing is wrong. It's your tank and you can have whatever fish you want in it. I just don't think that a 29g. with red zebras and kenyi will work out long term so I'm trying to give you a heads up. I'm finding out alot of stuff the hard way. Not that I've lost any fish YET ( I do have one in a hospital tank without a good bit of it's tail missing though) but I'm finding out that I'll need to make some changes or I will lose some. Like Rainman and I said before...we've made mistakes from not knowing any better but it's part of the learning and part of the fun of the hobby. Enjoy, and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching or something I really don't want to come across that way.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-27-2008, 07:51 AM
No no i like the advice..i guess im listening and taking it all in but at the same time like i said in my ther post..i dont want them to be killed lol. and they will...so id rather make it work as there isn't agression right now..but if there turns out to be later then i'll try and sell them privately...or like i said upgrade, which i can do at anytime really id just rather wait until i move or get a house...

Dixie
04-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Oh good. I'm so glad you understand. Trouble doesn't usually start with cichlids (mbuna anyway) until they start to get sexually mature so you probably have some time. There are always exceptions too where someone gets unusually mild mannered fish that are normally aggressive. You just can't count on it.

I think it's awful that Walmart kills returned fish. I guess they are just out for the bucks and don't want the bother of quarentining sp? fish.

I can't say I blame you about not wanting to move a bigger tank but hope you can get a bigger one eventually. They are really easier to take care of than smaller ones and if you're like me, you'll see more and more fish that you want and need to get a bigger one anyway lol.

Your tank looks really nice in the pics you posted. Good job! and happy fish keeping. Keep us updated.