PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the rams

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, it is the sad truth. They just stopped breeding and I guess im getting kind of bored with them. So here's what I was rhinking: Trade in the rams and get either:

Apisto Aggazizi
Apisto Veijita
Nannacara anomala
Apisto (something thats starts with N, lol)
or Checkerboard cichlids.

Anyway thats what they have in stock. The fish that I get will be going into the 20high, which is well planted, and pH around 7.6. It can get down to around 7.2-4 with the CO2 working. Which do you reccomend?

Ad yes, i did get the cacatuiodes male to eat NLS! YES!

Fishalicious
04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
The N is probably the Apistogramma Nijsseni ....?

Ok here comes the Apisto geek...

Real Apisto Veijita are near impossible to get - what's in the LFS are a strain that look like the Veijita and sometimes the Macmasteri is sold as Apisto Veijita

Apisto Aggazizi are beautiful but more aggressive that most other Apisto's - they have a really strong character and can be quite nasty to other fish in the tank.

Nannacara anomala are more relaxed and very beautiful.. also larger and they can be more shy sometimes.

Checkerboard cichlids are just georgeous... also sometimes aggressive but at the same time they can be quite shy and hide a lot. They are quite hard to breed compared to other dwarfs.

With you PH I am not sure you would get any fry from the above.. you certainly might have them breed but the eggs won't develop well in a higher PH.

How can anyone get bored with Rams :hmm3grin2orange: ???? LOL

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks JEss! Im working on getting the pH below nuetral by using peat but it doesnt release tannins in my tank. any ideas why?

But in that pH, would the fish live healthily? and all of them would be okay in that pH? Which is easiest? hardest?

Fishalicious
04-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Do you know the KH of your water it must be around 6-8 with your PH? I have been using peat for years without any probs... have you maybe got charcoal in your filter? That will cancel out the peat. Maybe also not enough peat? You can also put it in a filter bag and hang it in the tank if there is not enough room in the filter.

Any fish can get used to any PH if acclimated properly... it depends if they are wild caught or bred....if they are bred they will have an easier time adjusting of course. I just don't think breeding will be very succesful with this PH but I don't know if that's what you were planning on.

Agassizi & the fake Veijita & Nannacara anomala would probably be the easiest if you stay on this PH. Apisto Agassizi are stunning especially the red / super red variety but can be tricky with their character.

Which one do you like most lookwise?

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 03:12 AM
Do you know the KH of your water it must be around 6-8 with your PH? I have been using peat for years without any probs... have you maybe got charcoal in your filter? That will cancel out the peat. Maybe also not enough peat? You can also put it in a filter bag and hang it in the tank if there is not enough room in the filter.

Any fish can get used to any PH if acclimated properly... it depends if they are wild caught or bred....if they are bred they will have an easier time adjusting of course. I just don't think breeding will be very succesful with this PH but I don't know if that's what you were planning on.

Agassizi & the fake Veijita & Nannacara anomala would probably be the easiest if you stay on this PH. Apisto Agassizi are stunning especially the red / super red variety but can be tricky with their character.

Which one do you like most lookwise?
I am looking to breed them eventually. Ill probably hang a thing of peat so at least some tannins are realeased. Then ill get the CO2 running again. The pH will be around 7.2 then.

Unfortuanetly I dont have a KH test kit because it ran out a while back and i keep forgetting to buy a new one lol. Ill get one in a few eeks.

The fish themselves are of superior quality. The store gets them from a breeder in Germany who goes and collects the fish from the wild in South America and the fish in the stores are the fry from the wil dtypes. At least that wahat the employee said, and he seemed very knowledgable about dwarves. At least he knew that Asian rams are crap. So I dont know if the veijita is fake or not, but it sounds that it is a real veijita. I personally perfer the veijita as far as looks go, but I would perfer an outgoing fish thats not a pain in the rear to feed.

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2008, 03:49 AM
Good posting you guys and helping me out, as well. I now have an empty 29 gallon and was thinking along these lines, as well, but like Ed, I have a pH of 7.6.

Maybe time to get some blue eyes (rainbows?)

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 04:08 AM
Good posting you guys and helping me out, as well. I now have an empty 29 gallon and was thinking along these lines, as well, but like Ed, I have a pH of 7.6.

Maybe time to get some blue eyes (rainbows?)
You mean rainbowfish? Or are you thinking of dwarf cichlids?

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Both. But if our pH makes breeding of the dwarf cichlids difficult, perhaps I may change my mind and go with the rainbows.

Didn't explain that one too hot, did I?

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Both. But if our pH makes breeding of the dwarf cichlids difficult, perhaps I may change my mind and go with the rainbows.

Didn't explain that one too hot, did I?
lol. With CO2 and a crapload of peat i think you would be able to get it down t neutral.

Fishalicious
04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Mmmh I wonder who the German breeder is... I probably know him...

Well if you can get your hands on a real & true Apistogramma Viejita then the choice would be very easily made for me.... they are really really rare (the true ones) So if you do get them I cannot wait to see foto's as you can imagine :19: :19:

They will live in a neutral PH but would probably color up more and thrive more in a lower PH. I think this is also a reason there are so many pale not on color rams around as peeps keep them at a neutral or higher PH (don't slaughter me peeps for being honest LOL)

Even if it is not a true Viejita it will be a Macmasteri which has the characteristics & coloring of a Viejita and they are quite docile lovely dwarfs and do better in a higher PH than the others on your list. (compare pics of Viejita & Macmasteri on google and you'll see what I mean)

Hobbs... it really is time you get some rainbows <grins>

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks! Are there any differences between fake and true viejitas?

Fishalicious
04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
The most obvious difference is the black lateral line - if it is dotted it is fake if it is a long solid black on you might have a real one... veijita's are also a stockier in build

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks Jess. With the peat I was able to get the pH to around 7.2-4. Now with the co2 it should drop even lower.