PDA

View Full Version : Adding more females?

Cichlid*Newbie
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
If i add a couple more female kenyi's to my tank will my one female i have now be less shy? She's always hiding. The male takes over the tank. Also will the zebras survive with a couple more kenyis in there..they're all good temperment so far.

RainMan
04-26-2008, 02:59 AM
It might smooth things out.... I have no idea. I'm sending you a PM

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 03:02 AM
well i got 1 more female....seems okay so far...still alive, its so tiny..you dont realize how much they've grown till you add a new one...

OscarFan
04-26-2008, 03:05 AM
Zebras are tough fish and should survive.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 03:07 AM
well they survived me so far hehe. I like them.

Dixie
04-27-2008, 04:36 AM
They say real aggressive fish like kenyi shouldn't be kept in a tank smaller than a 75g. Also with them, the more females the better. Normally it's 3-4 females per male but with kenyi it should be more like at least 5-6. I just found that out, about the 5-6 females per male today. I started out with one male and one female kenyi in my 55g. then I learned that there should be 3-4 females per male of a species so I got 2 more females. Now I've found out even that's not enough lol. They say when the male gets mature he will be a real terrorist killing machine. I hope my bigger tank comes through before mine gets mature lol and I find some more nice females too. I think if I were you, I'd trade in those fish for some N. brichardi(really cool and beautiful fish), or a couple rams or something more suited for a 29g. That's just my opinion going by what I've read. If I don't get a bigger tank for my birthday next month. I'll be trading mine in.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Yea, so ive heard..i have no where to exchange them though, walmart will kill them and the other one doesn't stock many fish so dont know if they'll take them either...im pretty much forced to try and even it out. Already with adding another female its getting better the two females aren't nearly as scared paired up...i'll expand to a better tank soon...as im not willing for the to be killed!!

Dixie
04-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Coolness! That's what I'm planning on doing too. I just hope they can wait for me lol. My kenyi aren't as old as some of my other fish so maybe I have time with them. I didn't with the auratus though. Of the 3 I had, 2 of them started changing to male color and one male started picking on the other male big time. I had to remove the one getting picked on. I think I'll take the 2 males back to the LFS. The are a pretty fish, well the females are but I don't want so many aggressive species.

I don't have a lot of places near me to get fish either. You should check out the LFS that doesn't stock much and ask them if they will take in fish anyway. It won't hurt to ask & might come in handy.