PDA

View Full Version : How much aquarium salt for a 30 gallon Mbuna tank?

The Wedge
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Just wondering...will it effect my flora that isn't fully established yet. Not quite through the cycle :ssad:

RainMan
04-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Do not use aquarium salt.... it's not the same thing. Go buy some Seachems Cichlid Salt.... this contains all of the minerals needed to reproduce the lake conditions. Follow the instructions.

I wouldn't worry about mimicking the conditions now anyway.... let your cycle finish. You're just gonna change out most of that water anyway. Plus, when you get your cichlids from the lfs... they won't have the same ph and hardness. You can gradually up the ph and additives after they have settled in.

30gal is generally too small for mbuna. What are you planning on keeping in there? Make sure you do some research. Feel free to ask some questions about that. We have a few people with smaller tanks that are doing okay.

RainMan
04-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Just realized you have fish in there.... keep up with the cycling and wait til it finishes. You have enough stuff in the water to worry about. But, that's just my opinion.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Do not use aquarium salt.... it's not the same thing. Go buy some Seachems Cichlid Salt.... this contains all of the minerals needed to reproduce the lake conditions. Follow the instructions.

I wouldn't worry about mimicking the conditions now anyway.... let your cycle finish. You're just gonna change out most of that water anyway. Plus, when you get your cichlids from the lfs... they won't have the same ph and hardness. You can gradually up the ph and additives after they have settled in.

30gal is generally too small for mbuna. What are you planning on keeping in there? Make sure you do some research. Feel free to ask some questions about that. We have a few people with smaller tanks that are doing okay.

This is good advice, i have the same size tank and so far mine are alive, but listening to advice from this site and another site i go on, id have a bigger tank or the "dwarf" cichlids in the 30g. Its a little to late for me so im trying to make it work until i can upgrade. But i also say to read up first..;)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Agreed. Don't bother with plain aquarium salt, it's not what your fish need. Seachem's Lake Salt contains Magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium solfate, sodium chloride, aluminum sulfate, iron sulfate, and potassium iodide. All ofr these elements will work together to improve the health of your fish, these are things that are not in plain aquarium salt.

cocoa_pleco
04-26-2008, 03:17 AM
ditto, regular aquarium salt is only good for treating diseases on fish that can handle the salt, seachems lake salt would be far more useful