PDA

View Full Version : How to: Fumigate safely?

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok guys, big problem here. I really need some support and suggestions on this one. As most of you know i just moved into my current residence two months ago. Ive now discovered they have a small roach problem. Its not as if they are everywhere, but seriously i hate beetles of all kinds especially flying ones, and 1 is too many. I did some research and apparently its impossible to get rid of them without fumigating. Now. I have some ideas on how to protect my tanks but im not even gonna start spitballing yet, i wanna hear what everyone thinks about this first, and what they would do. Seriously, bombard me with responces, no matter how short or pointless you think they might be. Im really really worried about my fish here but i just cant live with roaches.

I will get some pics of the setup in case that will help soon, but today i gotta clean like a madman and get ready to do something about these roaches.

I use several air pumps. Right now the only tanks i have that i need to protect are a 2 10gs and a 2.5. Also my rats are in a 50 but i can just put them outside for a while since its nice weather here right now. All 3 tanks have a trickle filter right now, the two tens both have a sponge filter each and 1 airstone each.

I will rep like crazy on this thread because its really urgent and important, and thanks in advance to everyone.

MandyL
04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
How long do you need to vacate? My first thought was cover the entire top, lid and lights and filters and all, with Press N' Seal saran wrap. It should give an air-tight seal. The only problem would be getting the needed oxygen to the fish, depending on how long it needs to be sealed off.

Drumachine09
04-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I think you would have to completely remove all of the tanks. Thats what I would do in that situation. Fumagation is harmful to just about everything (I think) and it could harm your fish.

Devon Greatwolf
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Before my Multi-tank syndrome really hit home I had an infestation of wolf spiders (actually only saw a handful but I really dislike spiders not to mention wolfs are big critters). I had 1 30 and 1 55-gallon setup at the time and just did app. 50% water change and left all filters off afterward then covered the tanks with trash bags and took my chances. It all worked out for me but luckily not for the wolfs. Actually, I did not enjoy killing the spiders but I was also having problems with red wasps too, and these I am highly allergic to so I justified it as a "ME or THEM" kind of thing.

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Yea thats what i was planning was the suran wrap or whatever, and to provide the fish with oxygen since i would have to turn my pumps off, i would just lower the water level a good bit so that the filter breaks the water a good amount and provides enough O2 for the fish. Im now running into a new problem as my mystery snails seem to be mating and i dont wanna miss the eggs or miss removing them as i cannot have 100 mysterys in that 10g. Im pretty sure u have to vacate for 12 hours to 1 day.

Tolley
04-25-2008, 08:53 PM
you could move the mystery snails to a separate big bowl or something with some plants while you are fumagatign. therefore if they spawn you will have the eggs separate from your tank.

cocoa_pleco
04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
i personally would move the tanks, might be more work but in the end it will be better than regretting leaving them in there if they die

Tolley
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
thats a good idea cocoa. moving them size tanks should be easy.

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 09:57 PM
you could move the mystery snails to a separate big bowl or something with some plants while you are fumagatign. therefore if they spawn you will have the eggs separate from your tank.

Do you think that will affect them spawning? Conditions in a bowl are gonna be alot different than in my tanks.

As far as moving the tanks, its pretty much not an option. I dont have anywhere to move them where i can be sure they would be safe, and im gonna try to fumigate tomorrow or the next day so its probably more of a pain that its worth. I would only be able to lower the water level in my 10s to about 25% to move it and thats still too heavy for me to move myself safely. If i had planned for this i would have certainly moved them but since its kinda unexpected i just dont see moving the two large tanks being doable.

Any else got any tips? who has done this before? Please keep em coming and thanks to all who have replied so far.

Edit: BTW watching snails hump, and chase each other around the tank at slow speed is probably one of the funniest things i have ever witnessed.

Tolley
04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
im not really sure. Surely if your going to remove the eggs then you dont want them anyway?

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM
im not really sure. Surely if your going to remove the eggs then you dont want them anyway?

OH OH no no, i just dont want the baby snails to get eaten and i dont want to have 100 snails in my 10g. I DO want the eggs, i was gonna buy a few more mysterys soon anyways. Otherwise i wouldnt care if they spawned or not.

MandyL
04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Well according to the article http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/applesnail.php the eggs take 2-4 weeks to hatch, so you wouldn't have a problem with missing them while you are fumigating.

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Well according to the article http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/applesnail.php the eggs take 2-4 weeks to hatch, so you wouldn't have a problem with missing them while you are fumigating.

Woot, i guess i can deal with not being able to see them lay the eggs, if i miss it oh well, at least i wont loose the babies. Thanks for the info mandy.

Tolley
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
oh cool then yeah. i'll shut up then lol

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
oh cool then yeah. i'll shut up then lol

Lol no tolley its no biggy bro, i should have ben more specific u still get rep dont worry bud! lol! :thumb: like i said i need loads of suggestions on this one!