PDA

View Full Version : will piranhas pick on my eel

terryd_2020
04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
i have a 15 1/2'' Gymnothorax tile (tile eel) and i was wondering if i added a piranha or two, how would my eel make out? he's in a 55gal brakish tank now with plenty of cover. "GUS" (my eel) is my main concern and i don't want to have him damaged.

angelcakes
04-25-2008, 03:30 PM
cant help with your question........but hello and welcome:19: :19:

siymdapolio
04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
welcome to the AC!( you should post a thread up in the introduction section and let everyone know your here!)

I donno buddy i would not advice that, that Eel are very sensitive and a wonderful species to have. I would not put in piranha because they would pick on it maybe bother it when they get much larger. The gymnothorax i have read can live very old too( it should be best kept alone and friendly bigger fish)

I think somebody who knows more about these could tell you better.

RainMan
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
yeah... if you're worried... then don't do it.

General rule of thumb for me... when in doubt, leave it out. Unless you're willing to say good bye to it. There's only a few things that can successfully go with a pirahna... and most of those someone has had bad luck with. But, being so big. Maybe??? but, if I were you, I'ld revert back to my rule of thumb.

RainMan
04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
BTW... Welcome to the AC!!!

toddnbecka
04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd stick with some other brackish fish. Sailfin mollies would be fine if you want some colorful and active fish that won't hurt the eel.
Besides not likling brackish water, piranha are schooling fish. One or two wouldn't be a good number to keep, schoolers should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

Demjor19
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
i am possitive at some point the piranhas would kill the eel. i would either set up a new tank for the piranhas or choose a better tankmate for the eel.

terryd_2020
04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks for your advice, ill look into something else to put in with Gus. i tried a 5" irredescent shark but Gus tore him to ribbons so ill be looking for something about 7" or 8"

duce
04-25-2008, 06:36 PM
hi and welcome
they shouldnt if they are well fed and looked after

Demjor19
04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
hi and welcome
they shouldnt if they are well fed and looked after

it doesnt matter how well fed they are...piranhas are just very skittish/jumpy fish and will attack randomly, even if they are not hungry. it may work for months, but i would bet my salary that within a year the eel will be badly injured or dead.

duce
04-25-2008, 06:54 PM
it doesnt matter how well fed they are...piranhas are just very skittish/jumpy fish and will attack randomly, even if they are not hungry. it may work for months, but i would bet my salary that within a year the eel will be badly injured or dead.
how much is ur salary? lol

Demjor19
04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
how much is ur salary? lol

this big! :19:

siymdapolio
04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
i have to say i agree with demjor the eel will most likely get attacked sooner or later and stress the eel so much and eventually possibly get into a frenzy and thats the end of the eel

RainMan
04-26-2008, 02:42 AM

I totally agree... they'll take a chunk out of something just to see what it is or how it tastes. Maybe it is just a defense mechanism. But, it will more than likely happen at some point. I wouldn't recommend piranha with anything else.... that's a good species only tank fish. And like mentioned before: it's not a brackish water fish and should be kept with many. I wouldn't even keep pirahna again unless I had a nice 125gal tank or bigger.

NickFish
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I totally agree... they'll take a chunk out of something just to see what it is or how it tastes. Maybe it is just a defense mechanism. But, it will more than likely happen at some point. I wouldn't recommend piranha with anything else.... that's a good species only tank fish. And like mentioned before: it's not a brackish water fish and should be kept with many. I wouldn't even keep pirahna again unless I had a nice 125gal tank or bigger.

I agree, they are schooling and they are agressive, not matter how skittish or shy they seem to be, when the lights go out and you're not in the rrom, they will not hesitiate to tear any tankmates to shreds.

They are also schooling fish, and should not be kept in any group smaller than 6 piranha. And of course, for this size you'll need at least 125 gallons, so with piranha 125g minimum.