PDA

View Full Version : Nursery/Snail breeding will it work

Angila
04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok so i am calling my lfs today and asking for all the pest snails they have no matter there size and i am wondering i have to set up another 10 gal for them for the gsp so can i use it for a nursery i have 2 female sword tails that still have not had babies and 4 small guppy fry can i still use the snail breeding tank as the nursery?

toddnbecka
04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Ya, no problem. An air-driven sponge filter would be a good way to go. Maybe some jave moss, or floating hornwort if there's enough light to support it.
If you want something green that grows well in low light, I have some incredible hair algae in my 10 gallon endler's tank. It looks like green cotton candy, and the fish seem to enjoy it, probably because it keeps food from getting lost in the gravel. Like any fast-growing plant it keeps the nitrate level low, and it's easy to prune when necessary. I'd be happy to mail you a clump. :hmm3grin2orange:

Angila
04-29-2008, 05:22 AM
ok i set up the tank and instead of pest snails they gave me baby mystery snails hmmm so looks like i will be going to wichita after all but my gsp did eat a couple of those mystery snails any ways i am going to look for some moss or something my lfs do not carry live plants so i don't know what i will do for that i have bulbs but they don't seem to grow great i have one plant out of the whole package that grew. will my baby snails eat my shrimp eggs?

toddnbecka
04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Shrimp eggs? If you mean cherry shrimp (or other similar species), they carry the eggs until they hatch.
If you can't find any "pest" snails, I can ship you some ramshorns and small "pond" snails. Not sure which species they are, but they don't grow very large.
Do you have any light/s on the snail/nursery tank?