PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon with cherry shrimp

kkevvy
04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
So i decided, now, finally, that I want to make my 10 gallon a cherry shrimp tank. I'll have a sand substrate with rocks, driftwood, plants, and plenty of java moss.

Can I keep the shrimp with about 6 neon tetras? I always keep up with my water changes and what not? I don't want them to eat all of my shrimp, haha.

gm72
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM
You'd be fine with a setup like that.

xoolooxunny
04-25-2008, 01:12 AM
neons wont eat shrimp.

travie
04-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Great stocking plan. I might suggest looking into cardinal tetras instead of neon tetras. Same colors and lately its being seeming cardinals are more hardy then neon tetras.

jbeining75
04-25-2008, 03:16 AM
The neons will be fine with the shrimp.... I think it will look great....

Wild Turkey
04-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Yea as everyone has said, nothing wrong with that setup neons will not eat shrimp. In fact the shrimp willl grow to be around the same size as the neons, they are one of the most recommended fish for shrimp tanks.

They will probably eat shrimp babies though, so i would plan on breeding them vastly in that tank with neons

cocoa_pleco
04-25-2008, 03:42 AM
it will work, i would go with cardinal tetras though, theyre immune to neon tetra disease

toddnbecka
04-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Baby shrimp = fish yummies...

Azear
04-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Baby shrimp = fish yummies...

but he said he have "and plenty of java moss. "... so might have a chance to be able to breed a few RCS... They're pretty good at hiding :P

kkevvy
04-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear. I think I'll do a Java Moss wall for the background too. When it gets cycled, I'll ask Algenco if he ahs any left. Thanks again guys, I'll take some pics of it.

Algenco
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I have some:hmm3grin2orange:

kkevvy
04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Well then, so it begins... muahaha

kkevvy
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
what kind of filter should I get? I have a biowheel thats rated for 20 gallons I think. Or should I get a sponge filter

Tolley
04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
i've heard that an air driven sponge filter is best so that no baby shrimp get sucked up.

MelonMan
04-27-2008, 10:26 PM
its only going to be lightly stocked so i guess u wouldnt need a large one...a sponge filter would be good but otherwise your 20gallon filter would work allright

toddnbecka
04-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Sponge filter, shrimp don't handle water currents very well.

kkevvy
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Can do. I think I'll make my own, I have the stuff...

I need to get some more moss tomorrow. I want a bottom full of it... thats the goal, anyway. I think in the back half of the tank I'll lay down slate and tie the moss to that... I have some in there now, and I'm waiting for the moss wall to grow in, but the more the merrier :]

kkevvy
05-05-2008, 12:15 AM
So I got some moss and laid it all down on some slate on the bottom... the whole bottoms full of moss. I've got a few pieces of driftwood too. No moss on it yet though... will probably put some more on it soon. it looks pretty good, If I do say myself. I think when it grows in it'll look great, though.

kkevvy
05-12-2008, 10:36 PM
After I get my shrimp all ready and established in my tank, and get a few babies going, would it be okay to drop them in my 20 gallon to clean up some of the moss in there? Theres a TON of java moss on the driftwood, its really thick, and it grows really fast, so its good for hiding, especially from my very vicious rams and gourami. Do you think any would survive?

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 10:40 PM
After I get my shrimp all ready and established in my tank, and get a few babies going, would it be okay to drop them in my 20 gallon to clean up some of the moss in there? Theres a TON of java moss on the driftwood, its really thick, and it grows really fast, so its good for hiding, especially from my very vicious rams and gourami. Do you think any would survive?

Its possible, but unlikely. If you feed once a day you could try feeding 1/3 of that 3 times a day, to keep them from gaining an interest in the shrimp, but fish can defenitly push their way through the moss to get the shrimp, and when the shrimp tend to flee, they dont seem to shoot off in any thought out direction, just shoot off. Which could be fatal with fish big enough to eat them in the tank.

smaug
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I dropped 2 ghost shrimp in my 58 gal 3 weeks ago with a monster angel and a whole other host of shrimp eating nasties.I saw 1 of them is still alive 3 days ago.If they have plenty to hide in and you put them in when the others cant see them ,there is always hope.BTW that is a very nice tank you are setting up and should work very well.

Algenco
05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a 55 with 4 adult Angels, a pair of GBR, 2 small clown loach's, and some tetra's, I put some cherries in there 2 months ago, I still see them occasionally. If you have enough hiding places and put them in after lights out a few will survive

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
there is always hope.

Absolutely! Im not saying dont try it, but dont try it with all of the shrimp at once, and dont be surprised if they just end up being a nutritional meal for ur larger fish

MandyL
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Yep... I have 4 tiny keyhole cichlids that are about 1" long, and ghost shrimp about 3/4" inch long... And found them viciously picking at a ghost shrimp until they ate him all and nothing left (within about 10 mins). I don't know if he was already dead when they started attacking, but they sure made quick business of him. So it's really your mileage may vary.

smaug
05-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Absolutely! Im not saying dont try it, but dont try it with all of the shrimp at once, and dont be surprised if they just end up being a nutritional meal for ur larger fish
And make sure its done at night with all the lights off.No doubt you will still lose some,even all after awhile.

MeganL3985
05-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Omg, My cherry shrimp from algenco are in the mail, am I going to have problems with my 2 dwarf gourami eating the shrimp!?

Wild Turkey
05-12-2008, 11:19 PM
And make sure its done at night with all the lights off.No doubt you will still lose some,even all after awhile.

Good idea!

kkevvy
05-13-2008, 02:04 AM
I wonder if my Kuhli Loaches will have some fun with them too. They're crazy at night. I'll drop a few in at night... like I said, theres tons of moss and other plants to hide in. I guess it depends. Thanks guys!

Ellen4God
05-13-2008, 02:05 AM
Omg, My cherry shrimp from algenco are in the mail, am I going to have problems with my 2 dwarf gourami eating the shrimp!?

I didn't see my honey gourami ever pick on any of my shrimp. I reckon it depends on the number of hiding places and the temperament of the gourami.

toddnbecka
05-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Only if you keep them in the same tank. The adults will likely be alright, but the baby shrimp will be eaten.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Only if you keep them in the same tank.

LOL if they could pull it off from another tank i would be impressed.
Dwarf Gourami can probably swallow full grow cherry shrimp, they are 3 times their size or likely more, unless they have a distaste for them.. Provide lots of hiding places from bigger fish, not only mosses but clay pots mostly buried are great.