PDA

View Full Version : Piranha teeth...

Demjor19
04-24-2008, 08:31 PM
i was just going through a few pictures on my computer and thought i would share one with you. in case you arent aware...Piranha lose their teeth constantly throughout their lives. anyway here is a pic of a few of my Rhoms teeth. i think i have well over two dozen now. enjoy!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN3636.jpg

MandyL
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow that is really cool! I wonder if they could be pierced and strung with fishing line for a necklace or something...

Demjor19
04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Wow that is really cool! I wonder if they could be pierced and strung with fishing line for a necklace or something...

my friend works with gem stones and jewelry...maybe i'll ask him if they could be drilled. i have thought about it before, but figured they may be discomforting around the neck.

shalafi04
04-24-2008, 09:33 PM

my thoughts exactly!

Tam18993
09-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Yeah i think if you hung it around your neck it mite be just a bit spikey lol
But there really cool
:19:

troy
09-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Old thread!

Northernguy
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
This is an old thread!
So what did you do with the teeth?
Did you have some hoops glued to them so you could wear them or what?

Demjor19
10-06-2008, 04:45 PM
This is an old thread!
So what did you do with the teeth?
Did you have some hoops glued to them so you could wear them or what?

I just keep collecting them. I pulled another 5 out of the tank yesterday. I now have over 36 Rhom teeth!

Northernguy
10-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Do their teeth fall out and grow back like a sharks would?
I'd start making something out of them. Possibly jewelry,lol or some kind of surated knife blade.:hmm3grin2orange:
Those are pretty cool though! Try making a border around the top or bottom face of your pirahna tank moulding .:c3:

Demjor19
10-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Do their teeth fall out and grow back like a sharks would?
I'd start making something out of them. Possibly jewelry,lol or some kind of surated knife blade.:hmm3grin2orange:
Those are pretty cool though! Try making a border around the top or bottom face of your pirahna tank moulding .:c3:

They do fallout and regrow similar to that of a shark, but the replacement tooth comes in underneath the old tooth rather than from behind it. As the new tooth grows in under the existing tooth it will eventually be pushed out be the new one (they are never left toothless). Piranhas lose 1/4 of their teeth at a time. For example...they may lose their lower left, then lower right, then upper left, and finally their upper right.

Northernguy
10-07-2008, 08:51 PM
An added bonus for raising another cool fish!

It's a good thing they don't want a tooth fairy! :hmm3grin2orange:

Lynn Conroy
02-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Perhaps you could glue them all together and wear them next as teeth Halloween...

HomaridNoob6
02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
They'd be easy to drill, use a dremel or any rotary tool, and a small diamond bit, make sure you do it wet, submerge the area you are drilling in water, or use a gentle spray of water on it. some shells,teeth and fossils can put off a nasty dust when drilled wet drilling/grinding stops that. Also keeping it wet makes the job faster and keeps the bit cool. You could also coat them with a layer of epoxy after to keep them from being so sharp but still keep the look if your worried they'd be uncomfortable to wear. That is, if your even interested in wearing them as a necklace, etc. :)

Edit: Doh, i forgot to even mention that theyre pretty cool looking, like tiny shark teeth. I'm wondering why i never even noticed any teeth when i had my red bellies for 2 years.

Deleted User
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
That is so cool. Great shot. I have a collection of puppy teeth from back when I had my dogs. :ssmile:

Demjor19
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys/girls...the collection grows by the week! She is actually losing teeth right now.

toddnbecka
02-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I'd be tempted to get some acrylic resin to cast them in, and sell them on e-bay. Someone would certainly bid on them, for the novelty if nothing else.

escamosa
02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
That's unreal, i did'nt think that their teeth were so big.:ssuprised:
What do you feed your fish?

kvuyk2
02-26-2009, 07:54 AM
I would not hand-feed Rhom if you paid me! Very nice, sharp, clean tooth collection :ssmile:

escamosa
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
LOL, i would'nt either by the looks of those teeth, what do you feed him?

Demjor19
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
That's unreal, i did'nt think that their teeth were so big.:ssuprised:
What do you feed your fish?

Most of their teeth aren't that big...she is just a pretty big girl!

(Here is the mouth that the teeth came from!)

I would not hand-feed Rhom if you paid me! Very nice, sharp, clean tooth collection :ssmile:

I actually did hand feed her once...by accident. I was lowering the shrimp into the water and she got excited, rushed to the surface and grabbed the shrimp from my hand. Talk about an adrenaline rush! I am much more cautious at feeding time now.

toddnbecka
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
That's a big Rhom, definitely looks like a well-grown fish. Back in college there was an adult red-bellied piranha in the back of one of the science hall classrooms. Being exposed to the public, all sorts of thing were fed (or at least tried) to the fish. It had no interest in the hot dog that was found floating in the tank one day, but I did see it bite a pink rat and a small lizard in half, then finish them with the second bite. I imagine it would do the same to a finger, or at least take everything down to the bone.