PDA

View Full Version : So here's the plan

Incredulous_Ed
04-24-2008, 04:02 AM
So ive been tossing some ideas around in my head for a while about what to do with the 20gal long. Ive basicaly decided to buy a new light, get some plants growing, find a way to soften my water, and order more apistos.

My ph is like 7.6 naturally and the apistos in it are thriving. However, if I were to order some, the pH shock would probably hurt them. So here's what I plan to do:

Buy a better light so I can grow plants. I will probably not be buying special substrate, but maybe just small grade pea gravel, and some root tabs or something. Will I be fine with that? because that new black fluorite and the red eco complete are looking quite appealing.

Another HOB filter. So then I would have a total of three, which means clean clean water.

Then, once the plants get going (or before) I want to buy some of those indian almond leaves online. This is going to be the only way I will be abke to ower my pH. I tried using peat but no tannins were ever released (go figure). Oak leaves didnt release anything either. Anyway, I have heard ALOT of good things about these so maybe they are worth it. Do you think I would be able to get a steady pH of 6.8 or so using these?

Once I get the pH stable, I will order some apistos. Im thinking apistogramma piexoto, or veijita. I will prob ordr from apistodave. I think the problem with the last time wa sthat I only paid for priority mail instead of express, and they were in transit over 48 hours, so maybe that was too long. Yes or no?

LosC
04-24-2008, 06:25 AM
What kind of plants are you planning on growing? Won't those filters mess with the current alot in a small tank? A large piece of driftwood brought me down from 7.6 to 7.0.

Fishalicious
04-24-2008, 08:20 AM
That Indian Almond Leaves will lower your PH is a myth.... your water might color slightly but there will be hardly any noticable drop in the PH.

You could try black water extract...

The easiest way is to chuck loads of peat in one of the filters - the amount depending on your KH... and what also will work is collecting rain and use rainwater at water changes.

I can keep a PH of 5.5 using rainwater and peat in the filter.

Incredulous_Ed
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
That Indian Almond Leaves will lower your PH is a myth.... your water might color slightly but there will be hardly any noticable drop in the PH.

You could try black water extract...

The easiest way is to chuck loads of peat in one of the filters - the amount depending on your KH... and what also will work is collecting rain and use rainwater at water changes.

I can keep a PH of 5.5 using rainwater and peat in the filter.
D@##!†! Oh well. I bought this bag of pure caadian spahgnum peat moss and threw a bunch in my tank and no ttannins were released. I prob left it there like 2 months, but never were any tannins released. Do you have any idea why?

Rue
04-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Frankly, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Odds are you won't have too many problems, provided you don't muck about too much...

I'd try it...

LosC
04-26-2008, 02:01 AM
whats the link to apistodaves website?

Algenco
04-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Ed, try Shultz Aqua soil,you can find it at Lowes/Home Depot for around $8 for a 7# bag, 1 bag will do the 20

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Ed, try Shultz Aqua soil,you can find it at Lowes/Home Depot for around $8 for a 7# bag, 1 bag will do the 20
Is it tough to waterlog and clean? Im kinda lazy, lol. What color is it?

Incredulous_Ed
04-26-2008, 03:15 AM
whats the link to apistodaves website?I think www.apistogrammaidiots.com

Or look at the fish he has for sale at www.aquabid.com

or email him for a price list so you can buy directly from him at apistodave@bendcable.com

MelonMan
04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
So ive been tossing some ideas around in my head for a while about what to do with the 20gal long. Ive basicaly decided to buy a new light, get some plants growing, find a way to soften my water, and order more apistos.

My ph is like 7.6 naturally and the apistos in it are thriving. However, if I were to order some, the pH shock would probably hurt them. So here's what I plan to do:

Buy a better light so I can grow plants. I will probably not be buying special substrate, but maybe just small grade pea gravel, and some root tabs or something. Will I be fine with that? because that new black fluorite and the red eco complete are looking quite appealing.

Another HOB filter. So then I would have a total of three, which means clean clean water.

Then, once the plants get going (or before) I want to buy some of those indian almond leaves online. This is going to be the only way I will be abke to ower my pH. I tried using peat but no tannins were ever released (go figure). Oak leaves didnt release anything either. Anyway, I have heard ALOT of good things about these so maybe they are worth it. Do you think I would be able to get a steady pH of 6.8 or so using these?

Once I get the pH stable, I will order some apistos. Im thinking apistogramma piexoto, or veijita. I will prob ordr from apistodave. I think the problem with the last time wa sthat I only paid for priority mail instead of express, and they were in transit over 48 hours, so maybe that was too long. Yes or no?

To soften the water try some driftwood because that has helped me so much and i now have a ph of 6.7 where as it was 7.6 before and when you put it in it slowly brings it fown so there is no harm done to the fish

Nautilus291
04-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Ed I have the same problem except my water is harder and naturally has a higher PH, I see the walmart around here has ro water for 37 cents a gallon, thats not too bad of a setback for a 20g, expecially since you will have to mix your tap water with it to get it to the proper ph, maybe 5 dollars a week at the most unless your planning on doing water changes every other day. I find its easier to get water with the ph you want then to try to lower the ph in the water you have, the natural buffers in the water seem alot better then any buffer you can buy in a store.

Incredulous_Ed
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Ill have to look into that. The problem would be getting to walmart. Maybe I can convince my dad to get an RO filter, nah. lol but thanks Adam, Ill look into that.