PDA

View Full Version : Tank set-up journal section

doug z
04-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm putting my tank together, William, and I was hoping to document each step..

It'd be a good excersize, I think, if we could encourage others to do the same.

It would be a good resource for ideas, technical considerations, etc..

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Good idea, couldn'y you use your blog for that though?

doug z
04-24-2008, 02:33 AM
I could, and maybe will..

But not everyone checks that kind of stuff, though..

And it would be easier to keep tabs on feedback if it was a thread..

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 02:34 AM
You're right, I wonder how many people read other people's blogs.

smaug
04-24-2008, 02:39 AM
You're right, I wonder how many people read other people's blogs.
I just read yours!for the first time.We should all take the time to look over each others blogs.I use mine as a fish keeping diary.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I don't post to mine very often, I'm a boring person LOL

SkinnyChicken
04-24-2008, 04:00 AM
I could, and maybe will..

But not everyone checks that kind of stuff, though..

And it would be easier to keep tabs on feedback if it was a thread..

I'm not too sure either a blog or thread would work in the long run. Wouldn't you just get a disjointed thread where your journal entries would be split up by a thousand replies each time you posted something? And a blog would be similar in that it would just be a series of entries that you would probably have to keep going back to edit when you thought of something else that happened the day before but you'd forgotten to mention.

What we really need is somewhere to post completed journals. Maybe you could write up your journal from your blog after you have finished setting up your tank. I have my completed journal written down in a book ... but I haven't worked out how to share any of it so that it would be useful - other than typing out the whole thing into a doco and posting the finished article - then people could read it in its entirety and take from it what they think would be usuful to them personally.

Oh, I don't know ... I'm just rambling ...

MandyL
04-24-2008, 04:04 AM
I wonder if it would work to have a section that people can post when they update their blogs, what they posted about etc. so others know what it's about and if interested can read it? That way you can have your journal in your blog but still update people that you've made new entries.

xoolooxunny
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
well, you could do one of two things. Have the mods clean up the thread once in awhile, leaving in legitimate questions and deleting the general comments (like the mugshots thread) or you can create a thread, post it, and reply to it about 6 times to reserve those posts right in a row by replying with a general sentence like "reserved for future journal entry" both would work, ive seeen it done.

Btw, i think its a good idea doug, because this summer I AM BREAKING DOWN MY TANK. You read it right! I want to re-scape and start from the ground up after I get my pressurized c02, new cf lights and ada aqua soil. A thread like this would be perfect for it!

William
04-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Another possibility is to make it into an article that is updated as the setup comes along. Maybe with a thread associated to it where people can ask questions.

xoolooxunny
04-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Another possibility is to make it into an article that is updated as the setup comes along. Maybe with a thread associated to it where people can ask questions.

I was thinking about that but over time wouldn't the articles on tank setup pile up? Or is that not an issue?

doug z
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I think the best option so far is to have it as a thread in it's own section (tank journals) to ask a mod to come in and remove the extraneous comments, etc once in a while..

Have a disclaimer sticky at the top of the section saying that by posting comments on a person's journal you agree that the journal author has full right to seek the removal of any and all posts he deems need to go.

William
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Aha you are talking about a feature were all members can talk about them setting up their aquariums?

In that case I need to think a little and see if I can figure anything out.

doug z
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
It should be fairly straight forward, I would think..

Just have a "Aquarium Journals" section, have the disclaimer sticky at the top..

People can start threads like "My 75g FW planted".

Another disclaimer point, or section descriptor:

This section is for those aquarists who are setting up their tanks, and want to document each step, for their own records, and for any other members that may benefit from this undertaking.