PDA

View Full Version : plants

Vandy5
04-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Ok so i have a 55 gallon tank with some chiclids all africans and i am wondering how well they will do with live plants. the only reason i ask cause if they will do well i am gonna change all my lights out but i dont want to if the fish are just gonna rip up the plants help?

PUNISHER VETTE
04-24-2008, 01:11 AM
I think it depends on what size plants you put in there. I don't know if the cichlids will rip them up but i can't see them tearing up a big sword or some well rooted stem plants.

smaug
04-24-2008, 01:12 AM
I understand that many cichlids are diggers and some also have an appetite for plants.You could try some java ferns,they are a tough plant and are not rooted in the substrate but tied to driftwood or rough rocks.Java moss would be approprate also and anubias have rather tough leaves and my do ok.How much light do you have at the moment?

Vandy5
04-24-2008, 01:18 AM
now i just have basic lights two 15watt 50/50s but i was gonna upgrade to a way bigger system.

PUNISHER VETTE
04-24-2008, 01:20 AM
It would help if you had some plant gravel like fluorite, eco-complete, or maybe add some laterite.

Vandy5
04-24-2008, 01:21 AM
kk cause now i just have some basic rock. and i bought a few smaller plants cheap just to see how they do with them. and they havnt even bothered them at all my pleco is all over them but thats it

smaug
04-24-2008, 01:24 AM
That is a very low light setup.Stick with just the ferns and mosses for now.PV mentioned needing better substrate,he is correct especially for later when you upgrade your lighting.How much light did you intend to go too?

Fishguy2727
04-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I would use liquid additives, not a special substrate. Special plant substrates are eventually drained of nutrients anyways.

What type of cichlids exactly?

smaug
04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
I would use liquid additives, not a special substrate. Special plant substrates are eventually drained of nutrients anyways.

What type of cichlids exactly?
It takes a few years to drain them completly,a planted tank is always better off with then without them.Fluorite is a fracted clay iron enriched product that never really loses all of its benefits.Just use more then I did 2 inches would be good,I only had an inch.

Vandy5
04-24-2008, 02:03 AM
well i was already planning on upgrading the lighting to a 50 50 coralife system 2 95watt white lights and two blues. i dont wanna change my substrate. and there africans like electric yellows and stuff

smaug
04-24-2008, 02:13 AM
If the gravel is well aged it will have nutrients for the plants so you will be ok.There are also fert tabs you can put in there that will work.The 50 50 light is not the best for plants ,the actinics [blue]do nothing for them.If its the plants you want more light for then you want both bulbs to be 6700k or 6700/10000k combos.

Vandy5
04-24-2008, 02:18 AM
ok i would really like to do plants in my 85 gallon tank but it has wolf chiclids in it and i am wondering cause there tiny like an inch at this point and if i start them early will they learn to leave them alone

smaug
04-24-2008, 02:19 AM
ok i would really like to do plants in my 85 gallon tank but it has wolf chiclids in it and i am wondering cause there tiny like an inch at this point and if i start them early will they learn to leave them alone
I dont know.maybe someone else can help ya with that.

Fishguy2727
04-24-2008, 03:07 AM
Mbunas have a tendency of eating most plants. You definitely do nto need to change the substrate for them to do very well. You can check out pics of my 75 which just has Estes' Marine Sand to decide for yourself. The lighting on that tank is just a doublebright with two Zoo Med 50/50 Reef Sun bulbs, I do nto think you need to exceed that level of lighting. They have the 6500K for the plants but are visually balanced with Actinic lighting to provide a nice white look to the tank that will enhance and show off any colors.

smaug
04-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Mbunas have a tendency of eating most plants. You definitely do nto need to change the substrate for them to do very well. You can check out pics of my 75 which just has Estes' Marine Sand to decide for yourself. The lighting on that tank is just a doublebright with two Zoo Med 50/50 Reef Sun bulbs, I do nto think you need to exceed that level of lighting. They have the 6500K for the plants but are visually balanced with Actinic lighting to provide a nice white look to the tank that will enhance and show off any colors.
the actinics do show colors very well,if 96 watts is all the usable lighting you need for your plants then they are a good choice.I have heard tale that actinics can lead to certain algae outbreaks however.The Black brush algae onslaught I had last year was when I had actinics ,after I cleaned it all out and used all 6700k bulbs I have not seen it since.

Fishguy2727
04-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Good thing to remember should that occur. I have not had that issue.

smaug
04-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Good thing to remember should that occur. I have not had that issue.
Im not positive the actinics were totally responsible but with other factors I had at the time Im sure they were a contributing party.