PDA

View Full Version : got some snails today

Kaga's Kritters
04-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I got about 20 some baby ramshorn snails today. Some are just bigger than a pea but most are pretty small. I put some in my 10gal and some in my 29 gal. I am hoping that some of the bigger ones make it so they can have babies. I have loaches in the 29 that can eat the babies, and bumblebee gobies in the 10 that can eat them. That is why I got them. Plus I love snails and don't seem to have any luck with mystery snails.

Steff
04-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Won't you fish eat them before they got a chance to have babys? If I were you, I would put them into a seperate tank where they can live and after they had babys you can put some into the fish tank.

Wild Turkey
04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Won't you fish eat them before they got a chance to have babys? If I were you, I would put them into a seperate tank where they can live and after they had babys you can put some into the fish tank.

Agreed, very unlikely the snails will live long enough to have babies. If you dont mind me asking what problems have you had with mystery snails? i love these guys maybe i can help you out with them.

Kaga's Kritters
04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
well the snails that are in the 10gal with the gobies are doing good, all still alive as far as i can tell. The ones in the 29gal with the loaches are gone, of course. They ate them all I think, I can't find any that look alive. What all would I need to set up a small tank to breed them in? I don't really have room for anything too special.

Turkey - i just can't seem to keep mystery snails alive, they always die within a few weeks. I don't have any extra calcium in the tanks, which might be part of it, but I didn't think that would kill them so fast..........thought the shells would just get a little brittle. would the mystery snails survive with my loaches? (keep in mind my loaches are pretty small, the biggest is a yoyo that is about 3 inches long)

Wild Turkey
04-24-2008, 01:26 PM
well the snails that are in the 10gal with the gobies are doing good, all still alive as far as i can tell. The ones in the 29gal with the loaches are gone, of course. They ate them all I think, I can't find any that look alive. What all would I need to set up a small tank to breed them in? I don't really have room for anything too special.

Turkey - i just can't seem to keep mystery snails alive, they always die within a few weeks. I don't have any extra calcium in the tanks, which might be part of it, but I didn't think that would kill them so fast..........thought the shells would just get a little brittle. would the mystery snails survive with my loaches? (keep in mind my loaches are pretty small, the biggest is a yoyo that is about 3 inches long)

I agree on the calcium, i also dont use calcium suppliments in the water, adding a boiled slice of cucumber every once in a while will do fine. I love mysterys and i have yet to have one die yet so i'll run through the stuff i take into consideration for mysterys.

Though calcium suppliments may not be as important as some make them out to be for the snail, mystery snails shell will decay and rot away (probably very painfully) in water with a PH of lower than 7.0.

Picking the snail. SOOOO important. Alot of pet stores seperate the snails by colour. Do not pick ur favorite color. I know its tempting but you should select a tank that has the most moving snails in it, and then pick one or two of the most active snails in that tank. I have a snail that will literally bump heads with my corys and not even flinch, some snails are brave, others are not, braver snails will clean ur tank more and are much more fun to watch. It also ensures you have a healthy snail to begin with and are not introducing a sick or dying snail into ur tank. Generally i never buy a snail thats in its shell at the pet store.

Know that most of the mystery snails at the petstore are already mature, and sometimes rather old. A snail that is the size of a quarter or so could be full grown, half dollar size defenitly mature and they have a relativley short lifespan. I dont reccommend getting younger snails becuase ur 3" loaches will probably have difficult with half dollar sized mystery snails, but just know that even if you do everything right, the snail may die after a few months from old age.

As far as food, less is more. I have hardly any algae in my snail tank right now, so they live off of the food flakes that sink to the bottom. No need to put extra flakes into the take for the snails unless you have craploads. I have two corys and two large mysterys and still the bottom of that tank seems like it always needs to be vacuumed.

Snails cannot tolerate Copper at all. I doubt this is an issue since you already have snails in the tank but it never hurts to get a copper test.

For the record i cannot say for sure the loaches wont be able to eat the mysterys eventually, but for sure it will be harder for them. Just try to buy the largest mysterys you can. Also, if you want to go with a little breeder tank like you were saying, mysterys are VERY easy to breed. Laying their eggs above the water line without exception, making for easy removal. Thats one of the reasons i went with mysterys, because even though they are very easy to breed, its very easy to control the breeding easily as well, a big rarity for snails. If you are wondering if the snails are doing the dew so to speak the male snail will look like hes hitching a ride of the female, and she will appear to ignore him and just go about her business. Funny, i know. lol

Hope all that crap helps, and i love snails as u can probably tell so never hesitate to ask questions or pm me about them, anytime.:19:

Steff
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
My ramshorn snails are living in a 12ltr. tank with sand, plants and a filter. But they do well in a tank with just a filter and food (not too much). Lately I had some in my quarantine tank (5ltr.,with a filer), they had a lot of babies there. So its quite simple, just try it.

Kaga's Kritters
04-25-2008, 10:47 PM
well i had thought that the snails i put in the 29gal got ate.....but some are still alive. i picked out all the shells (2 were definately empty) and put them in my 10gal. some have come out and moved around, still about 3 that i'm not sure about yet. Looks like they are still wondering if it's safe. Maybe I will try some mroe mystery snails in my 29......not sure yet though.....

i heard that mts can do ok with loaches cause they are harder for the loaches to get out of the shells or something.....is that true?

Wild Turkey
04-26-2008, 02:02 PM
well i had thought that the snails i put in the 29gal got ate.....but some are still alive. i picked out all the shells (2 were definately empty) and put them in my 10gal. some have come out and moved around, still about 3 that i'm not sure about yet. Looks like they are still wondering if it's safe. Maybe I will try some mroe mystery snails in my 29......not sure yet though.....

i heard that mts can do ok with loaches cause they are harder for the loaches to get out of the shells or something.....is that true?

That is very possible, but for sure if you leave them in with loaches soon or later they will all be dead. Even if that means after the loach grows a little. Stress from constantly being harassed by fish can kill the snails as well.

Minderella83
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Turkey151,
How do you know the difference between a male and a female snail? What is the best snail to have and breed?

Wild Turkey
05-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Turkey151,
How do you know the difference between a male and a female snail? What is the best snail to have and breed?

Start a new thread in snails section, i'll be more than glad to answer that. You can see the date of threads up there ^^^ try to avoid resurecting old threads or hoping onto other posts cuz you will get less answers.