PDA

View Full Version : Missing malysian trumpets

smaug
04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Not that it bothers me,they are uninvited guests and I'm sure Ill end up with more.However,I did a bit of a tank rearranging last week and for the past 3-4 days I have seen no mts as at all!This is in a tank that was crawling with them last week,at least 1 visible every 3/4 inch or so.I didn't do THAT much to my tank,I got rid of my HC and micro sword,moved 3 bleheri swords trimmed my ludwigia and did my usual water change.I'm baffled by this.Has anyone else had an occurrence like this?

Tolley
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
hmm sounds strange. Has the temp dropped at al?? i heard they slow down/will not come out in colder temps.

I hope you find them, i will be getting mine soon from another member.

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
yep, they get sluggish in cold temperatures and dont move much, other than that is your pakistani loach maybe eating them?

smaug
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
The temp has not changed.I considered my yoyos could be eating them,thats why I got them but holy cow,I had a pound of them in there at least and I dont even see any shells.

smaug
04-24-2008, 02:49 AM
I have been waiting till well after lights out to do a thorough inspection of my tank for snails.I used mu led hunting light and looked very closely.I found one snail and he looks dead.This is worrying me,what would do in all thousand of these snails in less then a week?Creepy really.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Any chance you got some copper in the tank? That would knock them all off for sure.

smaug
04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Wouldnt that also do my plants in?No I added nothing but my normal fert regimen.I dont know whether to be happy or very worried.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 03:01 AM
No, a small amount of copper won't harm your plants, but it will have a drastic effect on your snails. Any chance you may have had some trace amounts in the water for your change? Other than a Yoyo Snail feast, that's all I can come up with at this time of night. LOL

smaug
04-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Only if it came from my normal well water.If those yoyo ate all the snails Im amazed.I didnt want THAT to happen.Ive never seen one munching a snail.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Anyone throw a penny in the well lately? If you use well water you could very well have copper in there. What kind of pipes run from the well to the house?

Mvjnz
04-24-2008, 06:45 AM
My loaches finished off my population of snails in a matter of hours. I haven't seen ANY snails since the day after I got my loaches. So if you recently put loaches in your tank then I'd say they were all eaten.

smaug
04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
My loaches finished off my population of snails in a matter of hours. I haven't seen ANY snails since the day after I got my loaches. So if you recently put loaches in your tank then I'd say they were all eaten.
These are the cone shaped malaysian snails,I didnt think loaches could do much with them,I was hoping they could put a dent in the population I had no idea they could wipe them out!

xoolooxunny
04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I have 3 kuli loaches, and 3 yoyo loaches, neither of which touch the mts (if they do, its very few) they did finish off the other kind of snails when they were tiny in a matter of a day or so. If the snails arent getting enough to eat because of the loaches, they could die very quickly as well.

smaug
04-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I hadnt really thought about them starving due to the loaches.Oh well,I did however see one active snail thismorning and a few that werent moving as well.Time will tell I suppose.

shalafi04
04-25-2008, 03:50 AM
if you're missing them that bad, id be honored to sacrafice my MTS to make you happy :hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
04-25-2008, 08:11 PM
if you're missing them that bad, id be honored to sacrafice my MTS to make you happy :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks Shala!Your a true friend.:c2:

Devon Greatwolf
04-25-2008, 09:19 PM
It seems to me if you had a large die off of your snail population and they were not actual consumed you should see a noticeable ammonia spike. Just my $0.02.

smaug
04-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Makes sence Devon.Im believing the loaches ate them at this point.

smaug
05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
over the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed that they are not all gone.They do stay out of sight more so then they used to and I have maybe 25% of them that I used to.This leads me to think that the yoyos are keeping them in check.