PDA

View Full Version : Can I paint my PVC pipes?

MiamiCuse
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Well I am doing a remodeling project on my house and I have lots of left over parts. Some of these are PVC pipe fittings.

I have enough "T" and "Y" in the 3" and 4" variety to make a very interesting tunnel that twists and wind with multiple entrances and exits for creatures to hide in.

I think I can paint it such that it would look like old, corroded, cast iron, abandoned, "been in the bottom of ocean for years" pipe, I can even crack it in a few spots.

However, can I really paint it? Will the paint react with the water and release harmful chemicals? If I could paint it what kind of paint should I use? Oil based? I don't think water based would work.

or is this painting thing a real bad idea.

On the other hand...not to be gross, my remodeling project DID involve replacement of over 30 feet of 35 year old corroded cast iron sewer line, they are corroded, cracked and sitting in my garage inside a dumpster. I could, I suppose, take a section of it and I have what I was shooting for with the painting...but I have to clean it, and I am sure the corrosion will not be good for the aquarium water, but it is the "real" thing.

Thoughts?

Algenco
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Krylon "fusion" will work

DragonGoby
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
You don't want to use iron or any metal in your tank... they can induce serious illness for your fish....
For your pipe, the suggestion of Algenco is good (for the few I know about paint in a tank...:14: ), what you can do, is painting the interior too, in black... Some fish don't like the white of the pipe interior...
Good luck with your project and show us some pict!

xoolooxunny
04-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Spray paint under water is no good. Unless you use an epoxy over top of it. You could also coat the iron pipe with epoxy to keep it from corroding under water, after all, the pipelines of the water grid are epoxy resined to keep the water potable.

If you do want to paint the pvc, use a plastic paint, and decorate it however you want, just be sure to use an epoxy sealer as an overcoat to seal it well.

KINGMED
04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
You could also take some aquarium safe silicone and spread it over the outside of the PVC and then roll or sprinkle it with sand or pea gravel to make it look more natural, I'm doing this with some plant pots I bought from home depot, it may take a coating or two to cover completely though and of course you'd want it to dry for a good 3-4 days before putting into tank.

LosC
04-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Cover it with plants by tying them with fishing line to the pipe.

sailor
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Krylon fusion spray paint is perfectly safe for in aquarium use as long as it has dried and cured for a few days. As the name infusion implies it bonds to the plastic surface. I have painted filter intakes etc with it with no issues what so ever. I also know people who have painted pvc pipe and other items for tank decoration with no problems at all.

Incredulous_Ed
04-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Definetly dont use the real thing. If you ever happen to aqdd salt to the water it will kill all the fish.

RainMan
04-25-2008, 04:40 PM
You could also take some aquarium safe silicone and spread it over the outside of the PVC and then roll or sprinkle it with sand or pea gravel to make it look more natural, I'm doing this with some plant pots I bought from home depot, it may take a coating or two to cover completely though and of course you'd want it to dry for a good 3-4 days before putting into tank.

I was going to suggest this... I wouldn't do the paint thing.

Krylon fusion spray paint is perfectly safe for in aquarium use as long as it has dried and cured for a few days. As the name infusion implies it bonds to the plastic surface. I have painted filter intakes etc with it with no issues what so ever. I also know people who have painted pvc pipe and other items for tank decoration with no problems at all.

But, now that I read this... I trust it is okay. Krylon is good rattle paint and sets really fast. But, pay attention to the "few days" mentioned above. Sailor has done it all!!! Go Sailor... woot woot!!!

Dsoto87
04-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Ive used Fusion for both pvc pipes and filter intakes etc and have had no ill effects.Youll be fine using fusion