PDA

View Full Version : New tank with Mbuna...suggestions

The Wedge
04-23-2008, 03:04 AM
I have a new 30 gallon 36 in. tank with 4 johanni and 4 demasoni. Plenty of rock I might add (texas holey rock, rainbow rock, volcanic rock (basalts?or some sort of pyroclastic) and Two of the johannii are females but one is solid yellow ???(a little larger than the others and definitely the queen of the tank) the other you can see the johannii marking but still yellow. They are all fromThe dems seem to get along with each other. They have the pecking order figured out. Eventually, I plan on keeping closer to 9 dems and a few Labs. I am new to Mbuna's and non-community fish in general. Any suggestions, on fish stocking, should I get compatible plants (but I have an airstone), Or any general help would be lovely. The tank is pretty peaceful actually except for the Jo Mama...she's mean...I'll probably trade her in for another dem first. Thanks in Advance

jbeining75
04-23-2008, 03:12 AM
I think the females aggression will feather out with more fish. Africans need to be slightly overstocked to combat aggression. I would go for 10 at least in the 30 gallon while they are small. The demasoni stay relatively small as well as the johanni. The female johanni will remain yellow with sometimes a white lining on her fins. Give trhem a bunch of hiding places and allow them to establish their own territories in the tank. Eventually they will just all cruise around. Give them a free space in front of the tank though so they can flee from aggression.

toddnbecka
04-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Forget 9 demasoni, think 12 and some lab's. The sooner the better, only keeping 4 will quickly become 3, then 2...

TowBoater
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I only keep 1 demasoni because of there aggression. I would only keep one really aggressive type although I have made the mistake of getting auturs also.

Fishguy2727
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
I have not found demasoni to be the way people say they are. Many say one or ten, but I have repeatedly kept two together without issues. They are mbunas, with any mbunas you need to keep a good eye on them and be willing to remove ones that need to be removed, such as the ones that get too aggressive or get beat up.

Are you sure the yellow johanni is not an auratus? Sounds like it may be.

You may want to read the article on mbunas in my blog, it may be very helpful.

jbeining75
04-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I have 2 reb zebras, two labs, 2 electric blues, 2 johanni's and 3 demasoni in a 37 gallon and I have no problems... If you have any problems dither them out with a few giant danio.

Fishguy2727
04-23-2008, 05:56 PM
I would overstock and just remove problem individuals, not really fair to use any fish as this type of dither, fast or not.