PDA

View Full Version : can someone please try to sex these angels

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
as some of you know, I bought 4 beautiful angels a few weeks ago and now I am trying to figure out what the heck they are. Unfortunately, the more I read up on how to sex angels, the more confused I become! So I was hoping someone may be able to help me out here!!! *crosses fingers*

I'm gonna have to post twice cause we're only allowed 3 pics so here they are.

The Koi Angel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/103_5333-1.jpg

I believe this one is a "ghost angel" not sure
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/103_5479.jpg

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
For the life of me, cant remember the name. Zebra something??? no??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/103_5537.jpg

not sure either hahaha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/mistyart/103_5489.jpg

thanks in advanced! I hope someone can tell!!!

Tolley
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
sorry i wont be able to help on sexing but last to are altum angels.

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess, so just ignore this post LOL. They are both males. I had a theory that I saw somewhere on the web about the "straightness" of the angle from the mid-top body to the "nose" and then from the "nose" to the mid-bottom body, but I think it might have something to do with the top fin. Some angels, like yours pictured have "straight fins" like three of mine, but the other three have an extra angle in the top fin--an extra bit of angled fin near the top.

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess, so just ignore this post LOL. They are both males. I had a theory that I saw somewhere on the web about the "straightness" of the angle from the mid-top body to the "nose" and then from the "nose" to the mid-bottom body, but I think it might have something to do with the top fin. Some angels, like yours pictured have "straight fins" like three of mine, but the other three have an extra angle in the top fin--an extra bit of angled fin near the top.

hahaha omg! Im soooo lost right now!!! Thanks for the attempt. Hey, ya got a 50/50 shot at being right huh? lol:19: GOOD GUESS

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
The yellow or gold angel, is just that, a gold one at least in Dutch. I should try to find the name translated properly.

The striped angel is, well, probably a striped angel :hmm3grin2orange: A lot of people assume (no offense, Tolley) that if it's striped it's an altum. Altums usually are sold as such as they grow to be a bit larger and have more elaborate fin-age. It's a good thing to know as their requirements for tank height are a bit higher than, sniff, "common" angels.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=259705

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:17 PM
hahaha omg! Im soooo lost right now!!! Thanks for the attempt. Hey, ya got a 50/50 shot at being right huh? lol:19: GOOD GUESS
LOL I told you to ignore the post :laugh1blue: . I had a discussion with Fishalicious about this and it's really hard to tell. You think for sure one is male, and then it's laying eggs LOL. I'm just hypothesizing based on my own angels, but no eggs yet, so it's a crap shoot LOL.

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
im guessing Im just gonna have to wait and see. If someones laying eggs I'll name here... and if someone is doing... errr... "guy things" I'll name him hahaha

until then, im totally lost in the sauce!!!

Fishalicious
04-22-2008, 07:28 PM
It is really hard to tell 100% until they actually breed... I say that as I have had some 'suprises' over the years as fins said... my guess from the foto's are:
Fermale, Male, Female , Male in order of the foto's.

Fins is so right in saying they are not Altums... or Scalare... Altums grow HUGE! and Scalare are also mainly wild caught and need special water conditions.

Your last two wild colored definately had some wild caught parents in the past to have this coloring but more than likely the smaller Scalare.

siymdapolio
04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
miti will come and help yea i hope!!

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
thanks fishalicious you're awesome! I hope you are right with the boy/girl ratio! That would be thrilling. I know with my luck I'll end up with 4 females all lesbian lovin' one another but hey... whatever makes em happy lol!

I'll of course keep everyone posted on any egg laying that goes on!!! woo hoo! *crossing fingers still*

Fishalicious
04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world they start breeding soon.. but be warned... once they start they don't stop and the other two non breeding pair will get a pretty hard time from the lovely parents :hmm3grin2orange: It is all part of the behaviour though so don't worry unless fins actually start flying hehehe

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I told you it was probably a crap shoot LOL ...when you see one that lays eggs, grab a photo! Or try. I still I think I have something with my extra angled top fin theory...or I'll eat my hat (I need more fiber LOL)

@Fishalicious - what would be the proper English translation for "goud maanvis?

Fishalicious
04-22-2008, 07:40 PM
The ones you have fins are Pearly Golden Angelfish... you also have normal Golden Angelfish which are more gold colored all over.

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Ah, pearly golden versus golden. I like that. LOL. Okay, so my Dutch is improving by leaps and bounds :hmm3grin2orange:

shalafi04
04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh Mitcore Where Are You???

Tolley
04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
The striped angel is, well, probably a striped angel :hmm3grin2orange: A lot of people assume (no offense, Tolley) that if it's striped it's an altum. Altums usually are sold as such as they grow to be a bit larger and have more elaborate fin-age.

Hahaha! Thanks for correcting me!!! I sure would be in that group well you learn something everyday.

mitcore
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
LOL i am here
ok your altums are female
and you have a male female pair in the top too
female up top and male down the bottom

sorry LOL hope this helps

Lady Hobbs
04-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Shala, it's recommend if looking for a pair of angels to buy 5-6 to be sure you have a pair as it is just about impossible to tell the difference with any certainly. The males tend to be smaller than the females and the males will follow the females around and be inseparable when they get a bit older and that's about the easiest way to tell. To just look at them is pretty iffy.

PS........to edit:

I've just been informed by someone who has breed hundreds of them the male is actually larger. Mine were odd balls I guess.

Algenco
04-22-2008, 11:52 PM
As fishalicious said, it's very difficult to accurately sex Angels until they spawn.
With that said, I say the first is a male, and the others are female

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I've said it here before so I'll say it again, Discus and Angels are alike in this area, there is only one 100% possitive way to sex them and that is by their extended breeding tubes. Until you see them spawn there is no way to be 100% possitive. It doesn't matter how many times you've been right, it is still guessing and is pure luck. I've heard of many flat bellied "males" that have mysteriously layed eggs. hmmmm.... maybe that's not such a reliable method after all. Sorry shalafi04 but nobody here can tell you 100% possitive the sex of any of you angels, anyone that tells you they can is full of it. You've gotten a few guesses but that's about the best you'll get until they decide to pair up and spawn.

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I've spent many a night in the angelfish forum and this is the same thing they say. Guess work will give you a 50-50 chance tho. LOL

I wouldn't say the silver one was an altum either. Looks like a standard Wild Silver to me. Altums are shaped differently.

shalafi04
04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
well Goldbarb thats what I figured. Just hoping there was some kind of Angel Whisperer here hahaha Of course I'll keep ya all posted on what the verdict is, once the angels decided to inform me that is :) Thanks for the guesses everyone. Much appreciated :)

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Here's one of the wild silvers I had. She was a biggie girl. My wilds were all larger than the domestics.

Minderella83
04-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Lady Hobbs, This is off the subject question but what is the name of the plant in the pic of your angel?

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Bamboo and not real.