PDA

View Full Version : firebelly newt

Kaga's Kritters
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I just got one of these. He is in my 5 gal with my betta. Anyone else have any and do you have any tips on caring for them? What makes the best floating "dock" for in the tank? thanks.

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2008, 08:17 PM
i used to have some, i had terrible luck with them though, mine always got this thing where their legs got white, rotted, and then they died, this was about 8 years ago though so i probably was doing something wrong

the best dock would be a ramp if possible, they like some land too

angelcakes
04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
i used to have some, i had terrible luck with them though, mine always got this thing where their legs got white, rotted, and then they died, this was about 8 years ago though so i probably was doing something wrong

the best dock would be a ramp if possible, they like some land too
i agree with cocoa as ive had these....a ramp and yes they like land to.......didnt your lfs point out that these newts only need (depending on size of newt) that they require 3-4 inches of water so they have land or stones or ramp to sit on,these do not need to be water all the time.heres a tip for you dont let it escape they run like hell

Kaga's Kritters
04-23-2008, 11:51 AM
yes the lfs did say to have some sort of land or at least something floating for it to get on. the one thing i did find out from reading about them that the lfs didnt tell me was that they need cold water. It says 70 at the highest.

angelcakes
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
yes the lfs did say to have some sort of land or at least something floating for it to get on. the one thing i did find out from reading about them that the lfs didnt tell me was that they need cold water. It says 70 at the highest.
that is correct cold water/room temp...when you change there water still condition it, this is what i asked my lfs........

JDUB
04-25-2008, 03:18 AM
I've once had newts, but they all died...so yeah it's not easy to cared for newts, but at least I gave it a try...

Fishguy2727
04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
They do tend to do better in shallow water with a land area. I think they should have an actual land area, not just a floating dock. Mine prefer the land so far. I have live plants and moss.

angelcakes
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
They do tend to do better in shallow water with a land area. I think they should have an actual land area, not just a floating dock. Mine prefer the land so far. I have live plants and moss.
stones and rock features are also good

cocoa_pleco
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
they also like moss

Fishguy2727
04-25-2008, 08:40 PM
As long as they have a big land area and at least half water they should be good. Short hardy plants to provide cover on the land and they will be in heaven.

Kaga's Kritters
04-25-2008, 10:29 PM
i have redone the tank and he now has a land area and about 4 inches of water in the other half of the tank. he does sit on the land a lot. he doesnt seem interested in the newt pellets i have been trying to feed him. what else can i try?

Fishguy2727
04-26-2008, 02:39 AM
That is about it. Mine get the same as the guppies they are in with, New Life Spectrum.

Kaga's Kritters
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
How do i get my newt to be more active. he moves around once in awhile, but mostly just sits in one spot all day. i still havent seen him eat anything. i put a pellet or two in each day and try to drop it near him so he sees it but he just sits there. he is in a tank all by himself, with part land and part water. i never really see him in the water, mainly on the land or right at the edge of the water. i could put him in my 10g, but their is a wee little bit of salt in that water and i dont knwo if that would be good for him at all, and the water is warm, which i read they dont do well in. i cant put him in the 29 cause some of the fish are picky and semi-aggressive, so they would probably beat him up. what should i do for him?