PDA

View Full Version : Hello

havoKKKK
04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Hello, ranha lovers. I am rather new to piranha and haven't started a tank yet. My first group of fish were guppies and I raised them in a 5 gallon with a filter, and a heater and they were pretty nice first fish. I had quite a few of them but not up to the point where it was overcrowded. My next species of fish were bettas. I had one male and one female. I kept them in seperate aquariums! Both groups of fish were kept awhile ago and I'm now looking to move up to something more "interesting." I'm looking at how much time I have to dedicate to these fish. I am looking to purchase around 6 babies. I know that they will grow up to become very large fish but I was thinking about starting in a 30 gallon with them? With that said, I was wondering if someone could list all the things I would need along with the tank and prices. I noticed most people do not feed their piranha feeders. Is that because of the frequent cleanings you have to provide or because it is unhealthy?

-thanks

angelcakes
04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
hello and welcome to the forum..............:19:

RainMan
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the AC! I think 30gallon is too small for pirahna, especially 6 of them. I think you're looking at 125 gallon tank for that many. You might be able to keep 6 in there for a few months.

Feeding feeders is messy and a pita... plus prepared foods these days are much safer and healthier for fish.

angelcakes
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the AC! I think 30gallon is too small for pirahna, especially 6 of them. I think you're looking at 125 gallon tank for that many. You might be able to keep 6 in there for a few months.

Feeding feeders is messy and a pita... plus prepared foods these days are much safer and healthier for fish.
i think i would agree.........

havoKKKK
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow, the guy at the pet shop told me I could keep around 4 or 6 in a 30 gallon for about 2 years before I would have to switch to a 90 gallon or something around that size. Basically, right now I am just gathering money and planning, trying to figure out what all I need, what to feed them. I am getting prepared..pretty much. I think I want around 4 or 6. Plus the guy at the pet shop almost guranteed one or two of them to die within 2 years?

RainMan
04-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Sounds like the guy just wants to sell you some fish. but, that's just me. I think 90 gallon would be the minimum... and I would start off with it.

Just a little tid bit of advice to the begginer (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=20530) <- Read me

Thanks Sailor... been waiting to use that. :)

havoKKKK
04-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, if I started off with a 90 gallon would I still have to buy a new tank in the future? And also..with that could I have a total list of everything I need? If you don't want to I will certainly look up prices. What is a good price for a 90 gallon tank? I've never had anything bigger than a 20 gallon lol!?

cocoa_pleco
04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
a complete used 90g is about $300-$400, depending where you live

sandy_n
04-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Hello and welcome to AC.

RainMan
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm with cocoa... look for a good used tank setup. I got my 100gal for $150 bucks with hood lights, and 2 crappy filters. You can upgrade with the money you save.

2 places to look... local classifieds and craigslist. Shipping is going to kill any deal you find elsewhere.

RainMan
04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh.. and if you're going with pirhana... then you could do 4 max in a 90gal long. 5 would be pushing the limits.... maybe someone has some experience with that many in a tank that size. Anyway, stick with the size you need. That way you don't need to get a bigger tank. A general rule is 20gal per pirhana.... after starting out with 2 at a minimum tank size of (I think 50 or 60gal iirc). So, if you find a bigger tank you might be able to get an extra fish or 2. ;)

They like a lot of plants and drift wood.... but not a lot of light. (this is ideal for them to feel secure). They can be timid... not like in the movies. So, look for plants that do not require a lot of light. Java fern is a good choice... probably others. I've had good luck with amazon sword too. But, that's not always the case. Artificial plants are a good choice if you're just starting out.

Keep us posted... and make sure you read the Free Aquarium book on the left nav panel. It has a ton of useful info for the newb... and read up on fishless cycle. There's a sticky in the beginners section.

Good luck! Pirahna can be a fun and rewarding fish.

GreenTerrorNYC
04-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Sounds stupid but look for pet stores that are going out of business, i happened to stumble into one and the guy offered to sell me tanks with all the equipment for like 50 bucks.

You could probably keep 1 or 2 in a 30 gallon, if you got them as babies. But as they grow be prepared to upgrade your tank. I am kind of in the same boat.

Its just not fair to fish to keep them in a small surroundings. Also fish often get territorial, and as they grow larger free space becomes harder to find, obv.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

havoKKKK
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Well I'm pretty sure Piranhas are going to be quite expensive and alittle harder to take care of so I decided to start a few Betta Aquariums. I might try to breed them and get some little fry swimming around lol.

RainMan
04-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Well I'm pretty sure Piranhas are going to be quite expensive and alittle harder to take care of so I decided to start a few Betta Aquariums. I might try to breed them and get some little fry swimming around lol.

ahhh... chicken.... cluck, cluck, cluck. LOL j/k

I hope I didn't discourage you. That wasn't my intention. I was simply trying to supply you information. However, aiming a little smaller for a first timer is nothing to be ashamed of. It can be a lot of work and overwhelming if you are learning as you go. No way would I jump into a 90gal or bigger tank project if I were starting off.

Check out the beta section... there are some big time beta lovers around here to get you started.

:19:

Demjor19
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
it's nice to see people that actually take the advice of others and that are capable of making a responsible decision. i commend you! :19:

my g/f has some beautiful bettas and she has a ton of fun working with them. i think you made a wise decision.